Chapter Thirteen

Sirius couldn't fight back the smirk on his face, he'd already pushed it back from an outright grin and he deserved it. Why shouldn't he be amazed and happy that Hazel liked him back? That she let him kiss her and actually ended up joining in? He caught her eye across the charm's classroom; a blush stained her cheeks as she smiled back and hid in a book.

This was good; he'd shown her his patronus last night and it might have been the most romantic thing he'd ever be able to do for her... it was a swan after all.

"Why are you so happy today?" Prongs whispered into his book as they pretended to make notes. "You didn't come to bed until late – thanks for the wake up by the way – I'd thought you'd be mardy today."

"I had a very enlightening night." He grinned, "My patronus is coming along nicely."

"Awesome." He nodded, "Do you think if I showed Lily mine she'd be impressed?"

"More than likely." Sirius shrugged, "Hazel was by my remedial spell casting."

"But it's different, Hazel can't do it herself." He snorted, Sirius frowned over at him. "I know she's not an idiot, but it's hard to impress Lily, she can do most things better than me."

"Are you saying Hazel's easy?" He whispered, his frown darkening slightly.

"No, you know I'm not." Prongs snapped, "Why so protective over her, Merlin... you'd think you were banging her or something."

"Or something's right." Sirius grunted, turning back to his parchment that was covered in doodles.

"So what shape did it take?" James asked after half an hour, sensing the tension in Sirius and not liking it.

"A bird." Sirius shrugged, James frowned over at him. "What?"

"You're hiding something from me." He stated simply, putting down his quill and leaning back intent on getting it out of him. "Tell me."

"I'm not hiding anything." He shrugged, "What's wrong with you? You're normally paying Evan's so much attention you barely glance at me."

"Jealous?" James smirked, liking how he'd got under his skin straight away, he was definitely hiding something.

"No." he laughed, as his eyes lit up.

"You like someone." He whispered, "Tell me."

"I don't like anyone." He shrugged, turning his parchment over and scribbling on the back.

James looked over the room, seeing the same faces he'd known for the last six years and then he saw her. There was something different; she seemed to glow as she wrote down her notes alongside the other girls who actually listened. "Is it Gardiner?" his voice dropping to inaudible levels.

"She... she makes me like myself." He whispered back. "She helped me with the patronous."

"Good." James smiled, giving his elbow a squeeze. "I like Haze."

"I should hope so; after all we've done for you." Sirius grinned, back to himself.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"We'll tell you one day." He laughed leaning back and watching James squirm.

"You going to take Haze on a date then? It is Hogsmeade this weekend." James asked, eyes sparkling in mischief

"Hey Hazel." He shouted over the class room, instantly her cheeks went bright red.

"Mr Black is this necessary?" Flitwick asked, looking up at him.

"Yes Sir, it really is." He grinned before turning to Hazel again. "Want to go Hogsmeade with me Saturday?"

She nodded as a few students wolf whistled, even Flitwick looked happy. "Well, now that's sorted, back to what we were discussing."