Chapter 1: Starting Year 7

Hermoine's P.O.V

It's been a year since the battle at Hogwarts. Harry is starting off at the Ministry of Magic, while Ginny is getting ready for her 7th year at Hogwarts. Ron is with his family coping over their losses and working at "Weasleys' Wizarding Wheezes". Ron and I aren't talking, and I believe I'm loosing feelings for him. Harry and Ron aren't going back to Hogwarts, so I'm going back to finish my year at Hogwarts.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Kings Cross 9 3/4 Platform
Harry came with me to Kings Cross before I left on Hogwarts Express since Ron had to work.

"Hermoine, since I'm not going to be at Hogwarts this year, I want you to keep the Marauders map on you in case you need it, also, take the Invisibility Cloak. And watch out for Ginny for me please?" Harry said. I smiled at him. I knew I wouldn't use the map or the cloak, but I took it from him anyways.

"Always" I responded. He scratched his scar and I thought it hurt, but he gave me a reassuring smile and hugged me. The train conducted yelled for the students to get on so I waved to Harry and hopped on.

After putting my stuff down I headed to the Headboy and Girl compartment, curious to see who was Headboy. Professor McGonagall became HeadMistress and had told me that since certain people couldn't come to Hogwarts due to everything going on, the previous prefects from the 6th year had a chance at being Headboy/Headgirl and I was made Headgirl. As I opened the door, I let out an unexpected gasped. It was none other than Draco Malfoy.

"Happy to see me are you Granger?" he smirked. I glared at him and grabbed out my wand and considered hexing him. He shook his head and grinned.

"Headboy and Headgirl are supposed to get along, Granger. If you want to hex me to oblivion you can, but I assure you, someone will hear about this." He showed me his shiny bronze pin that said clear as day, Headboy.

"Why aren't you telling your father? Or your mother? You imprudent prat!" I spat. I wanted to slap him, but I withheld myself. He put on a grim expression then frowned.

"I don't speak of my father anymore. He was ignorant to join the Dark Lord and he's in Azkaban now, where he belongs. As for my mother, the night when the Dark Lord asked her if Harry Potter was alive and she said no, he said that she had lied to the Dark Lord and brought shame to our Malfoy name. So, he killed her." he replied weakly.

Pity. I really wanted a reason to envy him but he's been through hell and back. I was a loss for words.

"I can tell what your thinking and don't bother saying sorry. My family was messed up anyways. I never wanted any of this," he stopped to show her the Death Eater mark he had on his arm, "Life isn't fair and people who think it is are blind. Thankfully, I'm not one of those people."

The train began to slowly decrease in speed and I made an estimated time of arrival before turning my attention back to the blonde boy in front of me. "We are almost at Hogwarts. I recommend putting on your robes soon." I said. I always looked at Malfoy like a arrogant prat (which he is), but he seems decent now. I shook off the topic of Malfoy and put on my robes with 2 minutes to spare before the train arrived at Hogwarts. Grabbing my stuff, I wandered around until the train stopped. When it did, I got off and placed my stuff in a pile, so they can take it up with the rest of stuff. Heading to the Great Hall alone felt quite strange. I was always with Ron and Harry, but since they weren't going to come back to Hogwarts it was weird. Ginny caught up with me and we exchanged smiles.

"Strange isn't it? A lot of my friends are gone this year because their parents thought Hogwarts was still unsafe," she chuckled, "But at least you're still here."