Part 18

Liz quickly sat down at the reception desk, looking at theclock on the wall. It was exactly 10:30. Looking around for Diane, the receptionist, Liz started to notice more noise than usual. Diane soon came out of the treatment room with a huge grin on her face.

"Hi! You are punctual" she said to Liz, placing a hospital bracelet on Liz's good arm.

Liz found Diane's smile contagious, and was soon grinning herself. "I haven't seen you smile like this in ages Diane" she gushed. "What's the occasion?"

Diane just laughed and covered her face, a blush creeping up her cheeks.  Liz laughed and went to sit in the waiting room. Before she could even sit down Jeff jogged into the room.

"Hey Liz, we're ready for ya" he said, waving for her to follow him.

She stepped into the treatment room, curious to find the source of all the good humour. The room had been a regular patient's room and there had been no budget for renovation, so the beds had been removed and 4 recliners had been moved in. adjoining room had also had the furniture switched from beds to chairs, and part of the wall was removed, so the rooms opened onto each other.

From the far corner of the second room Liz heard laughter, and she saw Niall doing an Irish Jig. A grin filled her face. When he turned he saw her and smiled back. Finishing his dance, he bowed deeply at the waist and kissed the hand of all the ladies present. Liz swore she heard some of them twitter.

Jeff indicated where she should sit and Niall came over to stand by her chair. Before she could even ask Niall anything , Barry wheeled over the instrument stand and put the blood pressure cuff on her arm and handed her the digital thermometer to put under her tongue. After two minutes, he silently removed them all and assured her she could go ahead with treatment.

The whirlwind of attention had unnerved Niall, but Liz was used to it.

"Have a seat" Jeff told him, indicating a comfortable chair beside Liz's. Niall sat down and just tried to absorb the activity. Jeff scurried over with hot towels and wrapped her left hand and arm. Barry brought over an IV stand and parked it next to her.  When they had stepped away for a moment, Niall let out his breath.

"Is it always this quick?" he asked. Liz smiled and nodded.

"There's 3 nurses and up to 8 of us at a time, all getting different treatments. We've got it down to a science" She smiled at Barry as he placed a warm blanket on a patient. "Right Barry?"

"You know it  " He answered, giving her a wink.

"Not that I mind, but what are you doing here?" Liz asked, trying to get comfortable in her chair.

"Well , um, you left.." he began. Jeff walked past and quietly slid a footstool under her feet.

"Thank you" Liz said to him, immediately more comfortable. She looked back at Niall for him to keep talking.

 "...and I wanted to be supportive" he finished.  He looked totally lost. Liz reached out with her right hand and took his.

Jeff wheeled over on a stool and removed the towels from her arm. The heat had made her veins puff up, making the needle go in more easily.

"Ready?" he asked her. She nodded but looked uneasy. Liz took her hand away from Niall and grabbed a handful of her sweater, ready to squeeze it when the needle went in.

"Is he going to be okay?" Jeff asked, tilting his head towards Niall. Liz looked at Niall and he nodded. Niall took her hand back.

"Squeeze if it hurts" he said. Liz nodded and tried relax.  Jeff slid the needle into her arm and Liz tried to take deep breaths.