Chapter ♚ Six

Please don't forget to vote <3 I would love to enter this into #Wattys2017 <3 Any help I can get is appreciated!

The Wolf Prince | Chapter Six

I was an idiot.

An idiot for not realizing that Grayson, the man with the crimson eyes smothering me against the stone wall of the palace, was the same wolf with crimson eyes I met in the woods just last night.

An idiot for even thinking that I would be blessed with a mate that would love me, be my best friend, and be my other half.

And here I am, being an idiot one more time (because hey, three times the charm, right?) by not pushing away my enemy of a mate. For letting him have this kind of effect on me, on my body. So I do push him away, accidentally and totally not on purpose right into the mote.

"Sorry," I say breathlessly, happy to have his firm body far away from mine. However, I obviously didn't think this through very well because once Grayson's head resurfaces I notice his shirt sticking to his chiseled body. "Well shit," I mumble to myself. Forgetting about my dress I shift into my black wolf, completely shredding it. I bound across the bridge and race for the beautiful forest, a most likely pissed off Grayson hot on my tail.

Once I cross the Shadowland territory into the outskirts of my territory I stop at a clearing, facing Grayson's brown wolf. His crimson eyes bore into mine with question and I point my snout in the direction of his territory. He shakes his wolf head at me advancing a step and I retreat a step back. And then he does what I least was expecting. The sounds of bones grinding and morphing fill my ears, and before my eyes Grayson turns into a leopard. With his eyes trained on the ground I take the opportunity to circle him, looking at the patterns of spots along his fur. Stepping closer to him I gently nudge my snout into his neck in question. He looks up at me for a moment and then turns and leaps to the cover of the forest. Not a second later he emerges from the bush bare chested, a pair of dark jean hanging loosely on his hips. I look away embarrassed to be caught looking. Then I feel a piece of fabric landing on my face, I sniff and realize it's his shirt. I look back up and see that he has his back to me. Huffing I shift and quickly throw on his oversize shirt before he gets a chance to turn around.

"Explain," I demand, and he turns around his lips slightly parted as his eyes trail up me hungrily. I clear my throat and cross my arms over my chest. "My face is here," I say pointing to it.

"Sorry," he mumbles quietly, looking to the ground. I walk up to him and sit on the ground, I look up at him patting the spot beside me and he sits too.

"I don't know where to begin," he says quietly as I pull at the grass.

"What are we?" I ask, peering at him.

"We aren't wolf bound, Shira." He rubs the back of his neck, "We're called Shifters." He explains. "Shifters can morph into wolf bound, have all of the powers of a wolf bound and can even have a wolf bound mate," he looks up at this, his eyes flashing with an emotion I feel like I can't return.

"Us?" I choke out. He nods, and I look back down pulling out grass again. 

"But we also have the power to shift into just about any other predator on four paws. That's why you and I both can shift into snow leopards."

"What else can we shift into?" I question, afraid to look into his crimson orbs.

"I'm not too sure, so far I've only been able to shift into a wolf bound and leopard just like you, and you're the only person I've met that's like this, like me." His voice catches and I look up.

"How?" I start, "How do you know this?" He stands and starts pacing before me, thinking of the words to explain it. "How do I know you're not making this up?" I snap "Huh?" He turns and points an angry finger at me, his brows furrowed.

"Don't you dare call me a liar, I - " That's all he manages to get out before he's attacked. A black blur shoots across my vision and I stand in alarm. The clearing now empty other than me. A loud snarl comes from the edge of the forest and I dash toward it. I hide behind a tree and watch as Grayson, now in wolf form, is being circled by a much larger black rouge wolf. I step from behind the trees unconsciously, to get a better look and accidentally step on a twig. The black wolf whirls around, his emerald eyes meeting mine. My whole body trembles under his gaze, weather out of fear or something else, I don't know. But it doesn't advance on me, it turns around and swipes a large paw at Grayson, whom dodges and leaps over to me, putting himself between me and the rogue alpha.

"Go," I say to the emerald eyed wolf, my eyes steady with his. At this the rogues tail lowers and his eyes advert to the ground. Not out of submission but something else I can't put my finger on. Seeing this weakness Grayson growls and takes an intimidating step towards the rogue. The rogue begins to back away, and Grayson looks back at me, motioning his head for me to get on his back, and so I do. I watch the lone rogue alpha whimper when he sees me leave on Grayson's back. I watch as he does what I asked and walks out of my territory. I watch as the rogue that attacked my best friend but then gave me back my weapon, clean, leave me once again unharmed.

"Thank you," I whisper to Grayson, as I kiss his soft fur and drift asleep on his back.

The next morning I wake up in my bed, the smell of the forest tangled in my hair. I sit up with a yawn.

"Who's shirt is that?" Harley questions suddenly from behind me making me jump.

"Jesus Christ, Harley." I mumble rubbing my eyes. "Mine," I reply.

"No its not," she jumps up and down eagerly. "It smells like a man," she squeals.

"Sure," I yawn again, laying back down throwing the covers over my head. 

"Oh my god, you found your mate," Har sits on my bed, bouncing with excitement. "Who is he?" she pry's.

"Grayson Kade," I snap, burrowing under my blankets more, hoping she'll just go away so that I can go back to sleep in peace.

"You are mates with an alpha?!" She freaks, probably blowing a braker in her brain. "Oh," she mumbles, disappointed that it was Grayson.

"Yea," I mumble back.

"I see why you're not so excited," she lays back on my bed defeated. "I mean he's hot and all," she says, receiving a small kick from me.

"Yes, but he's an enemy," I growl into my pillow.

"But Shira?" she starts. "Is Grayson really your enemy?"