Halloween Special: Late Nights

Categories: Daddybats/Fluff/Young Robin

A/N: Dick isn't Robin yet, and he's only been living with Bruce for a few months in this :)

🎃🎃🎃

"Trick or Treat!" 3 children bellowed as Alfred Pennyworth opened the door.

He flashed his fangs at the small children dressed as witches. He liked to go all out on Halloween, and dressed as a Count Dracula every year.

Alfred reached for the orange bowl that sat on the table by the door; it was full of candy and plastic spiders.

Chubby hands shot in, digging for the best packet of Skittles.

"Thank you!" they chimed as the skipped down the path to their parents, shivering in the October weather.

The door clicked shut, and little Richard John Grayson poked out from behind Alfred's cape.

"There's still time if you want to go out, Master Richard." the old butler patted his hair, setting the bowl aside.

But Dick shook his head. Sometimes the circus had a Halloween theme. Other than that, he didn't celebrate it. And a part of him wanted to go out with Bruce.

🎃 Flashback 🎃

Dick couldn't help but feel a little heartbroken when he heard Bruce speak those words.

"Alfred will be here all night with you, and I'll be back before 12." Bruce knelt down in front of him. "I picked up a costume if you want to go out,"

"I don't want to go out," he shrugged it off.

Bruce stupidly nodded, standing up. "Okay. Well, Alfie will take you if you change your mind. You sounded excited the other day so I-"

Dick frowned. "I don't want to trick-or-treat."

He stormed off to his room, stomping up the stairs. As the front door closed, he shuddered, wishing he asked Bruce to stay.

🎃 Present 🎃

Reluctantly, he'd let Alfred dress him up as a vampire, but that was as far as he was willing to go.

"I see..." Alfred paused, placing his hand on his chin. "You're too old for candy!"

The acrobat frowned. "No I'm not!"

Alfred smiled. "Then why don't I get the candy bowl for the kids, and we watch a spooky movie? Before Master Bruce returns home."

Clinging to the purple velvet inside Alfred's cape, he followed him into the living room.

As the butler prepared a bowl of popcorn and chose a suitable movie, Dick got comfortable. He kicked off his black shoes and took out his fangs.

He grabbed the blanket which resided on the arm of the chair, and snuggled into it. The dimly lit room and the late time was just the right recipe to fall asleep.

Alfred said something. But all Dick heard was a mumble and a blend of voices coming from the flat screen. He let out a single yawn before resting his head and closing his eyes.

🎃🎃🎃

Not quite awake but definitely not asleep, Dick was disturbed by the sound of the door opening and muffled voices.

His eyes were glued together with sleep. He peeled them open, dazed and tired.

A blurry dark figure walked towards him. As he tried to raise himself up with his shaky arms, but the figure pushed his shoulders down.

"Bruce?" Dick questioned sleepily, his cheek hitting the soft couch.

"Yes Dickie?" he brushed his ward's fringe back.

"Can we go trick-or-treating?" he asked quietly, his words trailing off.

Bruce looked at his watch, and then at Alfred. It was 11pm. Far too late. He looked at the boy sympathetically, feeling bad for agreeing to work tonight. He didn't know Dick wanted to go out.

"I'm sorry Richard," Bruce said.

But he was already fast asleep.

Bruce scooped Dick up, falling limp in his arms like a rag doll.

"I promise I'll take you next year," he swore.

He knew Dick was asleep, but he was certain he saw a smile wash across his face, just for a second.

He walked out of the cobwebbed -decorated room. Blowing out the pumpkin by the door, he carried his little vampire to bed.