Chapter 1

"The BabaDook came knocking on his door..." Hope read to her child that lay on her chest, his golden eyes stretched wide in fear and suspense as he listened to his mother's tale.

"And the boy is so scared. Shall he open the door for this monster...?" She asked softly, her words melting in her child and he squeaked,"No! Don't do it Karmo! DON'T DO IT!" He cried and snuggled his face into his mother's chest to avoid the sketched out picture of the bird-like demon sketch on the book.

Hope scratched his bare back softly, his baby soft skin as soothing as ever when she held him at night. He was only a day old, and he looked 5, and he had the vocabulary of one. It was all so odd to Hope.

"Calm down Sammy...And Karmo opens the door...And the BabaDook pounces! He consumes Karmo with the feelings of depression and despair..." Hope murmured, second guessing her book choice for her small child.

Sammy blinked at the sketch of what looked like the huge shadow of a raven spreading over the ceiling of a room from an open door above a small a sketch of a child. He then blinked at his mother and said,"I'll never be consumed by BabaDook. You'll protect me mama!"

Hope chuckled softly."No need honey...The BabaDook only prays on those who have lost and are despaired. As long as you walk down the path the gods set for you...BabaDook will never come for you." She knew this book was a lesson to never open the door to your depression and despair, but she knew that it would be a better experience for him to just figure it out.

"I won't ever be like Karmo mama. BabaDook won't touch me!" He squeaked, his light eyebrows creased together so he had the look of cute rage on his face.

Hope giggled softly then strokes his head."Oh Sammy...Don't look so serious. You know your father will be mad at me if I tell him I got you even more pumped up."

Sammy frowned at her."Who cares what daddy thinks? He won't know! One more story mama!"

Hope ruffled his hair. It felt soft in her hands. She smiled softly."Not tonight Hun. I need to sleep now. Your father is expecting me..." The thought of her husband in bed, then together again without the restrictions of her baby...She bit her lip as she thought about it and only the light tap of Sammy's hands on her cheek snapped her out of her vision.

Hope chuckled a little as she saw his puppy face and kissed his forehead."If you fall asleep before I get to my room than I'll give you an extra pancake tomorrow..." She knew that was impossible, but she just wanted to make him at least attempt to fall asleep faster.

Sammy cooed and his eyes stretched wide like they always did when he got excited."An extra pancake?! Oi lord yes!" His little squeals made Hope smile and she laid him in his bed. His room was decorated with little black crows, not the ominous kind, the friendly kind that were eating little berries. His sheets were decorated with little baby bottles and pictures of the moon. The room was lit by a little pillow pet stuffed animal dragon that glowed dark blue and gold, marking the walls with light up gold and blue stars, which she found amusing.

"Now hush and sleep." Hope said softly and tapped his nose, making let out a cute little giggle. She then walked to the door and looked over her shoulder, seeing Sammy cuddled up tight in the blankets, and she squeezed the book in her hands, thinking of such a ravenous creature consuming her child. It was a worrisome thought.

She then shook her head. Midnight would protect her and her child. Like he said every day: he would protect them both with his heart and soul. Hope believed every word. The fire in his brown eye was enough to let her know he meant what he said. No one would hurt her Sammy.