TMI - Deleted Scene -- Where did Chase go?

Chase pulled the station wagon into the driveway, killed the engine and flipped off the headlights. Before he stepped out of the car, his dad was stalking down the walk, steam all but puffing out of his ears. Chase thought about starting the car and fleeing but it would be pointless.

He had no money, no place to go, and oh, right — nobody to go with.

He swung out of the car and met his dad on the driveway.

“Where the hell have you been?”

Oh, you know, out driving around, wishing I were an only child. Chase shrugged. “Just driving around, thinking.”

“You couldn’t call, couldn’t answer your phone?” Dave shouted.

Chase rolled his eyes. “So you could yell at me about using the cell while I’m driving, too? No thanks.” When his father went past him to the passenger door, he added, “What are you doing?”

“Get in and drive. I’ll tell you on the way.”

“On the way where?”

Dave hesitated a moment. “Police station. Meg was arrested.”

Chase’s knees buckled. “What?”

“They picked her up half an hour ago. They think she’s gonna shoot up the school.”

Chase jumped back behind the wheel and squealed out of the driveway, his dad in the passenger seat. “This is Bailey’s fault! She just wouldn’t shut up.”

“Bailey? But they’re best friends.”

“Were — past tense. Bailey’s been talking to some guy online and Meg kept telling her not to trust him.” Chase slowed for a red light. “Bailey got mad when Meg wouldn’t back off and started this whole big thing in the school this morning.” He accelerated onto the main road. “But I don’t get why they think she’s gonna go Columbine.”

“Do you know Simon Kane?”

Chase’s eyebrows shot up. “Uh—yeah. He’s a junior.”

“He told the principal Meg’s planning to bring a gun to school and kill you. Did she threaten you, Chase? Did she say she’d kill you?”

“ME?” Chase whipped shocked eyes to his father and stared at him until a horn blast refocused his attention.

“Jesus, Chase! Eyes on the road.”

Sweating, Chase gripped the wheel with both hands.

“You didn’t answer my question.”

“For God’s sake, Dad! You know Megan. She never threatened anybody.”

“That’s not what the police say. Or your principal. Or Simon Kane’s mother.”

“They’re all psycho. I know Megan. She wouldn’t hurt anybody.”

His dad turned his head away. “I hope you’re right, son.”

“Damn right, I’m right.” Chase said with conviction and never mentioned the dead look he’d seen in Megan’s eyes when she’d walked away.