TMI - Deleted Scene - Chase screws up BIG time

Here's a deleted scene from Chase's point of view. 

Eric’s intel was right; there was a scout watching Lacrosse practice today, even though it was almost spring and pretty much everyone had already decided what schools they were attending in September. Chase was going to community college under protest; his parents refused to allow to go away to college.

After practice, Chase quaked in his cleats when the visiting coach approached him.

“You played well. What’s your name, son?

“Um. Chase. Chase Gallagher.”

“Did you apply to Manhattan College, Chase?”

Chase looked at his feet. “Uh, no, sir. It’s way outside our budget.”

The coach shook Chase’s hand. “Send in the app, Mr. Gallagher. If your grades are as good as your stick, you could see a nice incentive package. We need a goalie like you. We’re in a tight spot. Our pick decided to pursue another opportunity and our wait listed applicants moved on, so we’re scrambling now. That’s why I came out here today. I like what I saw, so go home and get that paperwork done.”

With his face split by a wide grin, Chase nodded. “I will, sir. Thank you, sir.”

The visiting coach jogged over to Chase’s captain. He stared after him, wide eyed. A scholarship. A Division I school. This was—

A horn honking caught his attention. Chase strode to the battered mini-van that faced the field.

“Dad!” He waved a hand at the coach’s retreating back. “Do you know who that was? You’re not gonna believe it!”

“Chase. Get in the car.”

The smile slid off Chase’s face when he saw his father. Dave Gallagher was — usually — an easy-going and cheerful guy. But today, he stood in front of his car with a clenched jaw and dark eyes.

“Why? What’s wrong?”

“Get your butt in the car. Now.”

“I need my stuff from the locker-”

“Now, Chase!”

“Okay, okay. Jeez.” Chase climbed in the passenger seat. His father started the mini-van and left the school lot, his fingers choking the life out of the steering wheel.

“What’s up, Dad?” Chase asked when he couldn’t stand the silence anymore.

“What’s up. It’s five PM, you and your brother were expected home an hour ago, but you never even bothered to get your brother, and you ask me what’s up?”

Chase’s face burned. He’d forgotten all about Dylan. “I told Mom I couldn’t pick him up. I found out there was a college scout visiting today. I had to be at practice, so I texted her—”

“You texted her. Did it ever occur to you that she didn’t get your text? That she expected you to get your brother at four PM, as you’d promised her you would and was freaking out that you were both missing?”

Chase’s heart stalled. “He’s missing?”

“No.” Dave drew in a deep breath. “Dylan was missing. So were you. When four PM came and went with no sign of you guys, Mom called me at the store. You weren’t answering your cell so your mother thought you’d been killed in a fiery car crash. Before we started checking the hospitals, I thought I’d check here. Imagine my shock to see you in the net without a worry in the world.” His father sped down the expressway for a few miles in silence.