35; Homicide Is Never An Answer

Start from the beginning

"Think of it this way, Harper. You have yet to realize the line between what brings is pain and what sustains us is far thinner than one imagines," Klaus says.

"Don't. Don't say that to me. We both know what you mean by that. You don't need to kill the people you love most, Klaus," I snap.

"I'm too weak for one of your talks right now." He scoffs weakly.

"You're never weak. Ever." I place my hand on his chest. "Rebekah is your sister, I've seen you go through everything together, no matter how messed up the road is, you two always make it through. This is no different." I tell him.

"She has done why no one has managed to do to me in a thousand years, rip my heart out," he says.

"I don't believe that. You're a lot stronger than you think," I tell him. "Killing her makes you weak because you're avoiding the strength in forgiveness she deserves," I tell him.

He sits up and walks past me to the dresser grabbing a black button-up shirt, jeans, and socks. He sits on the other side of the bed, finishing putting on his clothes by buttoning his shirt. "I've seen what happens when I let my guard down, give in to happiness," he says.

"So, you hurt the people you love? Is that why you knocked me out by pushing me into that wall?" I ask.

"I didn't hurt you. Not at all. I was surprised by what happened, I was hoping you would tell me," Klaus said.

"What do you mean?"

"No one pushed you, Harper. You just jolted backward. Any ideas on what that could be?" He asks.

"Not a clue," I state, but I did have one. I went back to the subject. Klaus laid down on the bed. I sighed and laid down next to him. "Giving into happiness isn't what hurts you, it's giving into the hate, the pain," I say. "I've been down this road," I sigh. "When my parents died, I was emotionless, pushed anything good away. I hated everything, I was angry at everything. That's until I met you. You made me happy," I confess.

"Considering I'm a thousand yet old vampire who drowning in blood," he scoffs.

"Yeah, there's that," I say with a chuckle. I move on the bed to my body is facing him, I rest my head on his shoulder and his arm wraps around me. "Stay with me?" I asked.

"You can't persuade me to not punish Rebekah," he said.

"Hm. You're not a monster, Klaus. Rebekah isn't one either. Deep down, all of us are human," I hum. Klaus tried to stand but was too weak to. I grabbed his shoulder. "Come on, be a good boy and get into bed," I smile.

"If I had a quid for every time a woman has tried that line on me," he says.

"You would be poorer than a church mouse," I say.

"I beg to differ. Some women actually find me quite charming."

"Oh?" I laugh.

I touch his shoulder and he brought me into his mind.

Klaus's lips met the dark-skinned woman's neck and she laughed. Klaus was on top of her in the middle of a tangle of white sheets. Double doors slide open and Elijah appeared on the other side. "Sleeping with the enemy, I see," Elijah stated.

"I'm the ally now, darling," the woman told Elijah.

"Well, indeed," Elijah said.

"Oh, and a gesture of goodwill from our old enemy, tickets to tonight's opera, "Les Huguenots"." Klaus held up three tickets to Elijah.

"They have a soprano to die for. I'll introduce you if you promise not to eat her," the woman says, stroking Klaus's bicep.

"Oh, Lana, a good soprano is never dinner," Elijah said.