4; A Spectacular End

'No Rest For The Wicked' by Lykki Li

"There's no hope for the weary if you let them win the fight."

Weeks have passed since my drunken spat. Klaus has been more than awkward while we're together. Whenever one of us enter a room, the other left. Occasionally, we would stay in the same room together and make small talk or just read in silence. I haven't threatened him and he hasn't hurt me.

Did I actually kiss him and he was just covering it up? Or was he telling the truth?

Klaus has sired some successful hybrids, and they've been extremely clingy. Always sulking around, following Klaus's every order. I'm fairly certain that Klaus told those hybrids to follow me everywhere, including to post the outside of my door.

Another thing that made things unbearably awkward was the fact that my blood hasn't been working to sire hybrids. Two weeks ago, Klaus ordered a hybrid to feed on me but died soon after. So, if I'm not the doppelganger, then why is Klaus keeping me?

Another thing that will never get answered.

Today, we sat across from each other on the living room couches, the coffee table separating the two of us. We were both taken by the books we were reading to even acknowledge each other. I was reading one of Klaus's books that I had found in his house, 'The Girl With The Blue Umbrella'.

A Hybrid slave set a wine glass down on the coffee table in front of Klaus. I didn't particularly want to ask the slave to get me my own glass of wine, so I snatched the glass that was meant for Klaus and swirled the wine inside the glass.

Klaus raised an eyebrow, daring me to take a drink. I took two full gulps, filling my mouth with the third. Like clockwork, on that third mouthful, I realized that this was, in fact, not wine.

It was blood.

I spat the crimson liquid out of my mouth, blood sputtering across the living room surfaces. I looked up at Klaus through my desperate coughs, a smirk was placed on his lips. I stood from the couch and stumbled to the ground floor bathroom.

I stood at the sink and emptied my stomach contents into it. I coughed harder, sending blood to speckle on the white tile. Klaus had appeared behind me, still holding his smirk.

"You're a piece of shit," I pant, blood mixed with vomit trickling down my chin.

"This is why you don't drink from my glass," Klaus smiled devilishly.

Klaus's phone began to buzz and answered it. "Portland is fantastic once you get over all the whiny music and healthy looking people," Klaus greeted the person on the other line, lying about our location. Very typical of him.

I turned on the faucet and washed the blood and vomit down the drain. After everything was decently cleaned, my hands cupped water in my hands and I sipped at it. I swished it around my mouth, repeating it a few times while listening to Klaus.

"It's literally a breeding ground for werewolves," Klaus adds with a small smile, leaning against the bathroom wall. Klaus fell silent. I leaned against the bathroom counter, facing Klaus, whose face had dropped. "What did you say to me?" Klaus asked. I raised my eyebrow. "Well, first, I want you to explain to me exactly what happened" Klaus ordered.

________

Klaus grabbed me by the arm and demanded that I pack a small bag. He pushed me towards the stairs. Klaus then explained that Stefan had just informed him that his father was dead. It was a little strange thinking that a monster like Klaus could even have a father.