Chapter 20: Cat and Fairy to Clarines! (Part 2)

Chapter 20:

Cat and Fairy to Clarines! {Part 2}
~~~~~~~~~~
Faye P.O.V.

Shoot. We're gonna get killed.
Will he thrown us into the dungeons.
Get our eyes plucked out of our faces?
Maybe torture us and send our remains to feed the vultures?
Ugh, I don't anymore.

My mind was in shambles on what I should do. Maybe I should run away? Pretend nothing happen? Kill myself for sport? Oh god, it wasn't that easy when hundreds of eyes saw what happened.

"Stanz-dono." The King called out, strolling towards me with his face lit up in amusement. I curtsied, not minding the awkwardness of doing it in front of his soldiers.

"Your highness." I said before standing up with my back straight and chin held high. Relax, I told myself. He's a king just like your father. Don't be afraid. You're a princess too, Faye. Royalty, for goodness sake.

I released a shaky breath before raising my eyes to the king. Surprisingly, he was already looking at me with curious, blue eyes. There was no mistaking that he was Zen's older brother, especially when their eyes were like luminous sapphire gems. The platinum blonde hair was the only thing differentiating them both. I stared at him for a moment longer before I noticed Zen and Mitsuhide looming up behind him.

"Spectacular." King Izana stated with pure awe. "Tell me Stanz-dono, do every woman in your country fight as well as you?" He asked, sounding truly intrigued. I couldn't help the chuckle escaping my lips.

"I don't want to boast, sire, but I must answer you with a no. Not one woman in my kingdom can fight as well as me." I stated. "But if you asked one of your foot soldiers to fight a random woman of age in my kingdom, I'd say she'd be able to at least inflict heavy damage in areas you wouldn't want pain to deal with." I finished with a sly grin. The King blinked, then laughed.

"Interesting." He purred, a smile still plastered on his face. He thought for a moment before lifting his gaze to mine."Will you walk with me, Stanz-dono?"

"Of course, your highness." I replied. The king nodded and we started strolling pass the soldiers who once again turned their attention towards training. My heart pounded inside my chest, raised and rapid. I tried to keep it mollified from whatever atrocious fate that awaited. Hopefully not the gallows.

"Every boy here in Clarines is required to attend military training and service for at least three years after they have come of age. We also recruit cadets as early as thirteen, but only for those who are willing." He smiled. "After the service, they can continue on with their desired occupation, or if they choose to stay, they're qualified soldiers for war."

An inevitable sigh of relief escaped my lips. So he wants to talk about battles then. I would would have to burn an offering to the gods in thank you for that.

"War?" I raised an intrigued brow. "You're preparing for war, sire?"

"It's a pre-caution, Stanz-dono. Should the need arises, I don't want to feel helpless without my military force. It's an essential need for a kingdom if you want to prosper." He stated it as-a-matter-of-factly. I nodded slowly, letting my gaze wander through the soldiers training before me. Men, men, men. They were everywhere.

"Is your kingdom against women being in the military?" I asked the king, clearly irked by the how their military works.

The king shook his head, then sighed. "Well, as you can see, the idea is not openly welcome in my lands. My people are much too close-minded to even think of it thoroughly. But there are some like Kiki-dono who knows how to make a name for themselves." He grinned with pride. "And in Pistias, Stanz-dono. Do you recruit women into the military?" It was my turn to feel vainglorious.