Chapter 11: The Dancing Cat

Chapter 11:

The Dancing Cat
-----------
Obi P.O.V.

"Obi? Is that you?" Zen's voice echoed from inside the glass door across the balcony I stood at. He opened the door, motioning me to go inside. I stepped in reluctantly, seeing the room lightened dimly.

To my surprise, Miss Kiki and Mitsuhide weren't around but Zen was already dressed ready for the ball; the usual ones he wear to parties back at Clarines.

"Care for a drink?" He asked, holding a glass with red wine on one hand and a bottle on the other. I took the glass from him muttering thanks as I sat on the large velvet couch placed just in front of his desk.

"I talked to the King a few hours ago and he said he hasn't received any letter from Clarines mentioning of my arrival." A pang of guilt went through me for not remembering about the letter. I was too worried about Faye's whereabouts that I forgot the first reason why I was sent here.

"I'm sorry Zen. I failed you this time." I lowered by head, afraid to look at him. Zen merely chuckled lightly before taking a sip from his glass of wine.

"It's alright, Obi. People make mistakes sometimes." Zen said softly.

"But I'm Obi, and I don't make any mistakes! I've never failed you before Zen, not once. And I don't intend to, But now..." I trailed off, lost in the words I had to say. Zen placed down his glass of wine on his desk as he walked towards the seat across from me. His eyes were full of undying determination as he spoke.

"No, Obi. You have never once failed me, and you still haven't." He said. "Shirayuki told me about Faye and you. About how much you care for her and her being. How you searched for her the whole day to see if she was alright. Hearing that you have finally opened up your heart to someone else brings me great joy." He smiled. "And it's not always about duties, Obi. Sometimes you just have to follow what your heart has to say cause it you don't, there will be regret to pay."

"But it's too late now, Zen. She said she doesn't want to have anything to do with me anymore." I never thought my voice could sound so... Bitter.

"And do you believe that?" Zen asked. "Remember Obi, words lie but their actions speaks louder. I thought you of all people would know that."

A pang of realization went through me. What if Zen was right? What if Faye was just lying? But for what purpose did she lie? Things just doesn't make any sense.

Probably seeing my bewildered expression, Zen reached out to tap my shoulder in a brotherly way. He gave me an encouraging smile as I nodded to him in thanks.

"Before I would forget, I have another mission for you Obi." Zen stood up, walking back towards his desk. "The King asked a favor from me in exchange for an alliance with Pistias." He started. "As you may know by now, Princess Aine's coronation will be held in three days time. The King's men spotted assassins lurking about the city, trying to get close to the castle."

"I actually found one at the castle grounds. I tried to go after him but he escaped, leaving behind this knife he dropped." I reached out for the knife inside my pocket as I showed it to Zen, hilt first. He took it, reading the inscription on one side.

"Luna Philomela... In Latin it means 'Moon Nightingale'. What could it possibly mean?" Zen's brows furrowed.

"I would ask the same question." I shrugged. "It might be a guild or something."

"You're right. We need to ask the King if he knows something about this." Zen placed the knife inside his coat pocket. "And you will have to attend the ball. I need someone to watch the princess closely, especially when this is a masquerade ball. Assassins could be hiding behind the masks they wear." He added.