Part Deux

Regina woke to her bed bouncing and Henry's childish laughter. "What did I tell you about jumping on the bed?" she asked him, keeping her eyes closed.

"You said I couldn't jump on the couch."

She cursed child logic. "That also applied to the bed and you know that, Henry Daniel."

The use of his full name had him landing on the bed, still at last. He laid next to her before using his fingers to open one of her eyes. His hazel eyes met her brown ones as he grinned. "Can we invite Roland to go to the pool with us?"

Her heart sped up at the thought of Roland's father, Bobby, who had been confirmed the night before to be the man she had run from a tavern so many years ago. The man with the lion tattoo who was supposed to be her soul mate. She was both excited and terrified to spend time with him.

"Mom?" Henry asked, confused. She had obviously been quiet far too long.

"If Mr. Locke says it's okay, then Roland can come with us to the pool," she said. Over Henry's cheers, she added: "Once we have breakfast."

"Can we have pancakes?"

Regina smiled, nodding. "I think pancakes will be perfect."

She climbed out of bed and held out her hand for Henry to take. He clasped it, heading out to their temporary kitchen. Regina had given Mr. Gull a long list the day before that she now figured he had Bobby go out and get, making sure to include everything she would need for pancakes. As she located all the items she would need, Henry pushed over a chair to stand on so he could reach the counter.

As she helped Henry mix the pancake batter, Regina felt nervous about her impending call to Bobby Locke. She practiced what she was going to say in her mind and figured she wouldn't have to spend much time with him. It felt dangerous to do so. After all, Mother had always told her love was weakness.

But looking down at Henry, she was starting to doubt that.

*****

The phone conversation with Bobby ended up being brief. Regina asked if Roland would like to go swimming with her and Henry. He said his son would love to go and arranged a meeting time and place. It probably took less than five minutes but her heart was still beating fast as she boarded the elevator, Henry's hand in hers.

Bobby stood outside the pool area, holding Roland's hand. The boy wore dark green swim trunks and held a towel in his hand as he bounced up and down. Henry let go of Regina's hand, running toward his friend for a hug.

Their parents stood awkwardly to the side until Bobby broke the silence. "When do you want me to pick him up?"

"I can call you. Pool time can turn into so much more." A thought crossed her mind and she hastily added: "Unless you have something else to do with him later."

"No, no. In fact, I'm glad you called. My babysitter flaked on me and I was scared I would have to take Roland with me on my errands. So thank you." He smiled, flashing those damn dimples at her.

Taking a calming breath, she smiled at him. "Glad to help. And feel free to join us if you can."

Why did you say that? Why torture yourself?

"I'd love to," he said, his dimples deepening. He then wandered over to the boys, crouching down next to his son. After whispering something to him, Bobby hugged Roland and kissed him. He rose and approached Regina again. "Thank you again. I'll see you later."

She smiled, watching as he walked away. The man even made plaid look good. He ought to be arrested for crimes against her heart and libido.

"Mom? Are we going in?" Henry asked, startling her.