Look Out! (New Chapter)

Owen

It has been a long time since I have had this much to drink. I know I will be paying for it in the morning.

“How come I never knew you could sing like that,” Katie asked as she glanced over her shoulder to look at me.

“Probably because I don’t sing anymore.”

“What do you mean by anymore?” She arched her eyebrow up when she said that.

“I used to help out some guys back in college with a few gigs here and there.”

“So you would sing at bars and stuff when you were supposed to be studying and too busy to call me,” she complained. I had hoped to avoid this conversation all together.

“Yes I admit I did, and I told you I was sorry for ignoring you. It just hurt me so much being away from you for so long that I had to find something to do to get me through it.”

“Oh,” was all she said. I could tell she was hurt by what I had just told her.

“Can we just drop it? We are together now and expecting a baby, so we are exactly where we belong. We are happy and no need to bring up the past. Besides it’s a New Year now.”

“Ok I will try my hardest not to dwell on the past if you promise me something,” she said.

“Anything you want I will do for you,” I smiled.

“Um, gosh you know you could turn your brights off idiot,” she growled as she shielded her eyes and flipped her brights at them. After she did that the car started to swerve into our lane.

“Katie watch out!” I yelled as she screamed. She swerved to the right and slammed on the brakes. The other car barely missed us and overcorrected. I turned to see the car slam into a tree behind us.

I looked at Katie to make sure she was ok. She was shaking pretty bad. All I wanted to do was hold her but I had to help those people. I grabbed Katie’s hand and told her, “Stay in the car and call for help. If you see someone coming, try and flag them down by flashing your lights at them.”

She looked at me and nodded as tears streamed down her face. I handed her my phone and took off running across the street to where the car was. I could hear someone screaming as I approached the car. It sounded like a woman’s voice. I made it to the driver’s side of the car and noticed that the male driver was unconscious. The smell of alcohol was overwhelming.

I tried to find a pulse on him but there was none. I looked down to see a piece of metal sticking out of his chest. He was dead and there was no way to help him now. I looked through the car to see if there was anyone else. No one else was in the car. Where was the screaming coming from?

“Keep talking so I can find you!” I yelled. Everywhere I turned all I could see was darkness. She obviously had to have been thrown from the car so I headed in the direction she could have possibly flown.

“Please Help me!” She screamed. I hurried toward the voice and tripped over a tree root and landed on the ground next to a woman’s body. She reached out for my arm.

“You have to help me I can’t feel my legs she cried.” She too smelled of alcohol. I crawled over to where she was and tried to look for what would be causing her paralysis.

She had cuts all over her bare arms and face. I tried to touché her to see if I could feel anything sticking out of her. She was wearing black so it was hard to tell if she was bleeding anywhere else.

“Is my boyfriend ok?” She cried.

Her boyfriend was dead how could I tell her that. So I didn’t say anything as I continued to look for the possible cause.

“My stomach hurts so bad.” I slid my hand down to her abdomen and that is when I felt the problem. She had a tree branch about one two inches in diameter poking through her stomach.

This is not good. Where is the ambulance? We couldn’t be that far from town yet. If they don’t get here soon this girl is going to die too.

“He’s dead isn’t he? That is why you won’t say anything,” she sobbed.

“Can you tell me your name?”

“M-Mary,” she sobbed.

“Well Mary I need you to calm down and stay still. Whatever you do don’t close your eyes,” I commanded her.

I closed my eyes for a second and regretted that as my head started to spin. I crawled away from her a few feet and heard her say, “Don’t leave me,” as I vomited in the grass.

“Just hang on and stay with me,” I urged her. I regained my composure and crawled back to her side.

“I am not going to leave you. I will be here until help arrives.”

“Owen, where are you I can’t see you,” I heard yell and then she screamed.

“Katie go back to the car now!” I yelled.

“I’m scared Owen.” I could hear the sirens coming in the distance.

“Baby you need to get back in the car please.” I had Mary’s wrist in my hand and I could feel her pulse starting to slow down. Not good. She is going into shock. If they don’t get here now she was going to die.

“Mary are you still with me?” I shook her shoulder. No response.

“Damn it Mary stay with me!” I yelled.

I lost her pulse and began CPR on her. She was not going to die on me. I could hear footsteps behind me and noticed the flashing lights.

“The guy in the car is gone he died on impact,” I yelled to the paramedics. “If we don’t get her to a hospital now she is going to be buried in a damn grave right next to him.”

I gave the paramedics a report of what I knew and the medics rushed her into the ambulance and took off down the road. I was still kneeling on the ground. I pounded my fists into the ground.

Someone placed their hand on my shoulder and said, “You did all you could possibly do.”

I turned around to see the officer standing behind me. I quickly stood up and franticly looked around for Katie.

“Katie where are you?”

“Sir, your wife is over by the first responder’s truck.” I ran over to where the blue flashing lights were and saw Katie wrapped in a blanket sitting in the truck crying. She looked up and when she saw me she jumped out of the truck and threw herself into my arms. I held her tightly as she sobbed into my chest.

We gave our statement to the officer and then he let us go. Katie was in no shape to drive now and I was pretty much sobered up by the time we got into the car. We headed towards home with no further incidents.

 We pulled into the drive about twenty minutes later. I looked over at Katie who had fallen asleep next to me.

“Definitely not a good way to start the year,” I mumbled. I got out of the car and carried Katie into the house. After I secured her in bed I jumped in the shower.