Please don't take her from me

Owen

I was halfway home by the time dad called me back. He said Katie was in labor. I’m not sure what I will find when I walk through the door but I hoped everything was ok.

After dad called me I called for an ambulance to be sent out to the house. I pulled in the drive and parked next to dad’s truck, then bolted up the front stairs to the door.

I opened the door to see my dad holding my screaming baby, and a lifeless Katie slumped against the couch. Her face was as white as a sheet, and her arms hung limp next to her. Blood covered the floor where she layed… way too much blood.

I kneeled by her side and grasped her wrist to check her pulse…it was very weak.

“She has lost way too much blood,” I told my dad who tried to hush the screaming baby.

“How long before they get here?” he asked.

“Soon I hope or she will never make it.”

I sat on the floor next to her and pulled her limp body onto my lap. I cradled her as I  rocked back and forth.

“Katie you can’t leave me now…stay with me please.” Tears fell from my eyes.

I could hear the siren and see the flashing lights coming up the drive. Dad opened the door and ushered them in.

“Owen you have to let go of her so we can get her out of here.” I could hear him talk to me but I was too lost in my own thoughts.

I let go of her and pleaded, “Please don’t let her die.”

I stood up and followed them into the ambulance. My clothes were covered in blood as I climbed in the back. I sat next to her and held her cold hand. I could hear my son crying but I couldn’t manage to pull myself away from Katie.

The medic started to give her fluids and worked to try and stop her bleeding. Why was this happening to me again?

I laid my head on the gurney and cried, my tears fell in a steady stream.

About 20 minutes later we arrived at the hospital and they took her away from me and rushed her into the ER. A nurse carried my baby inside… I could still hear him screaming. I walked in the doors dreading the worst.

I couldn’t make myself walk any further. I put my back to the wall and slid down to the floor right inside the ER doors. I just sat there and cried with my head on my knees. I can’t live without her, she was my everything.

I lifted my head off my knees and played with the gold ring on my left hand. I pictured her walking down the aisle towards me smiling. She was so beautiful.

One of the nurses squatted down in front of me holding some clean scrubs. “Here take these and get out of those clothes,” she handed them to me.

I sat there a few minutes more before I finally could pull myself up. My dad walked through the doors just as I turned to head to the bathroom.

“How is she?” he asked. I just continued to walk and ignored him.

I walked into the bathroom and stripped the bloody clothes off and replaced them with the clean scrubs. I splashed some water on my face then walked out to the waiting room.

I took a seat near my dad and closed my eyes.

“I’m not sure she is going to make it dad.”

“How is the baby?” he asked.

“I don’t know.”

“Have you even checked on him?”

“No.”