Chapter 13 (Part 2)

(F/N)

   I haven't uttered a word since then. My blood is still boiling in anger with Bodin. Oh how I wanted to kill him right on the spot. Or even torture him to death. "Damn him..." I unconsciously hissed. I felt a hand touch my shoulder and I, without hesitation, smacked it before pulling out my knife and pointed it to the direction of the person.

   "Easy, (F/n). Calm down. No need to be so tense," Daryun said, both of his hands raised. I heard Narsus chuckle. I let out a frustrated sigh before putting down my knife. I can feel my eyebrow twitch and my cheeks getting hot. "S-Sorry about that." 

   Now that was quite embarrassing. I was thankful that it was already dark and the alley we've been walking on is empty. "We should get going right?" I was the first to go back to walking. My mind is filled with hate to that priest that I lost awareness with my surroundings. I need to calm down.

   Like what I normally do, I took a deep breath to regain my composure. "Have I been that tense?" I asked at my two companions.

   "Yes. For a while now," Narsus was the one who answered. "Don't worry. You are not the only one who feels anger."

   I simply nodded. We heard voices talking and laughing right along the corner of the alley. We stopped, just enough to see soldiers merrily drinking. "I had braced myself for this, but seeing for myself as the Lusitanian army throws their weight about here, it makes me painfully aware of our defeat." Narsus and I nodded in agreement. "Now, how do we take back this place?"

   "Let us see..." Narsus paused for a while. "For example, we could free the slaves all across Pars in the prince's name and promise to completely abolish slavery. Even if only one-in-ten take up arms, we could form a massive army of five hundred thousand and up." Again, we nodded in agreement, me and Daryun. "But in this case, it would be imperative that we be self-sufficient."

   "That makes sense," Daryun said, and I again nodded. We resume walking, away from the soldiers and Narus continued talking. "However, if that happens, we will not be able to expect the support of slave owners such as the vassals and nobles. And even if we freed the slaves, not everything would be well and good. What comes after will be the hard part. It will not go as one might imagine from behind a desk."

   Narsus' got a point. As much as there are advantages in abolishing slavery, there are also drawbacks. And getting the support from the vassals and nobles would be close to impossible. But it can also be possible with negotiation and that we will be able to convince them well.

   Suddenly, the door of a bar, I presume, opened and came out a drunk man. He stumble quite some time before bumping into Daryun and finally falling to the ground. "Whoa! Hey! Make way, you dimwit!" He began standing up, but not in the most smoothest way. "Do you know who you ran into?! I serve under Eran Kharlan..."

   I can see Daryun frown. I let out a chuckle when I saw the face the drunk made. It was clear that he was terrified. He must have realized that it was Daryun...

   "Da..." He started. Oh, so he really did. "Daryun!" And then he took off running. I couldn't help but burst out laughing. "Sorry. I just... I just find his reaction funny."

   "Running away without even fighting you... He has a good grasp of his own capabilities." Narsus said which only made me laugh harder.

   "Do we go after him?" Daryun asked. The two just ignored me. Oh well... I soon stopped laughing. My stomach is beginning to hurt. "Shall we pursue him? I could go after him." I offered but it seems Narsus has other plans.

   "First, I will go alone," Our strategist simply said that. Let's see where this will lead to.