Chapter 12

(F/N)

   I was able to breath in relief when Daryun and the others arrived. I didn't know how to calm Arslan down and it' starting to annoy me. Stupid wound! It's really annoying. If only you didn't bleed, I wouldn't have my head in a mess. Why a mess? Why wouldn't I be? My friend was having a panic attack and I was stuck trying to figure out how to calm him down, which I fail... terribly.

   I winced as Farangis tightened the bandage on my wound. "It'll be over soon. Sit still." Easier said than done. I was fidgeting because of the pain and I am certain that Farangis is getting irritated by my movements. I muttered a silent "Sorry." and tried my best not to move much even with the sudden jolts of pain when Farangis wrapped the bandage too tight.

   I sigh in relief as she finished covering my wound. I pulled down my shirt and stretched, not too much to avoid additional pain, and walked outside. The others were already planning to get moving to an abandoned village up ahead. But they seem to be hesitating because of me. I heard them mention my name and my current condition.

   "Don't mind me," I said abruptly which made them snap their heads towards my direction. I suddenly felt uncomfortable under their gazes but I shrugged it off and continued. "I don't want to slow us down. We should hurry off to that village immediately." I looked at Narsus with a determination. "If we get moving now, will we be able to reach it before night?"

   Narsus seem hesitant in answering my question but nonetheless, he answered with a "Yes. In fac-"

   "No. We won't leave until (F/n)'s wound heals," Arslan interrupted.

   I shook my head and put a hand on Arslan's shoulder. "I'm fine. My wound won't heal that fast but I'll be fine. Besides, we should not waste time. We don't want the Lusitanians to catch us, do we?"

   "The girl's got a point," the man called Gieve said. "She said she's fine, wouldn't it be better to just believe her?"

   I saw the doubt in Arslan's eyes. I slightly ruffled his hair. "Believe me, I'll be fine." I headed back to the cave and helped Farangis with cleaning up. Elam joined us some time after. I guess they had come to an agreement and it is to head to that village.

   "Prince Arslan is hesitating with what has been decided."

   I turned to look at Elam. "That's what he is. It's no surprise. He would like to avoid anyone getting hurt or dying. But we are facing a war, being injured is inevitable and death is what awaits to those who lose." I bit my lip to stop myself from saying more. The words I just said were the same as the ones that my father told me. Father has seen the deaths of many and was one of the persons who bring it along with him. Even I have delivered it to some. I looked at my hands and imagined that it was stained in blood. The sight didn't frighten me. It seemed... natural. Because it really is natural. It runs in the blood.

   I didn't realize that I had spaced out until I was shook back to reality. "Are you alright, (F/n)?" I can sense a tinge of worry in Farangis' voice as she waited for me to answer.

   "Y-Yes. I was just thinking." I saw her nod, a tinge of worry visible in her eyes. I smiled at her and tied a rope to my sack. I noticed that the rest also entered the cave and started cleaning up except for Gieve who approached Farangis and offered to help her.

   "Judging if we leave right away, we should be able to reach the village before night fall," Narsus concluded.

   All of us nodded in agreement. One by one, we started leaving the cave and headed to our horses. We mounted them and rode off to our destination.

   Like Narsus had said, we have reached the village before nighttime. It was good because it just gave us time to relax before tomorrow. We had planned that a group would infiltrate the Royal Capital and gather information about the whereabouts of the king and queen. The group consists of Narsus, Daryun and me. Thankfully, we are near Ecbatana or else we'll have trouble going near it. Farangis and Gieve were to look out for signs of Lusitanian soldiers on the roads. Elam and Arslan, on the other hand, are left to look out for the village and do some chores.

   The night passed by fast. As usual, Elam's cooking was delicious. If he was a girl, he'd make a good wife. I couldn't help but laugh at the thought which made them look at me with confusion. I simply replied with a "It's nothing. I just remembered something."

   Gieve started playing his lute. He was telling a poem to Farangis. I chuckled a bit at his attempt to have her attention to him. I looked around. Elam was busy stirring the stew. Daryun and Narsus were arguing about art. Which I found as childish. I suddenly felt someone sitting next to me and saw Arslan.

   "Tomorrow," he started. "you'll be back to Ecbatana."

   I simply nodded and watch him as he look at the sky. "Yes and we will be back with good news," I smiled. I hope. I kept the words unspoken. I don't want Arslan to lose hope but I don't also want for him to get his hopes up and get hurt later.

   "I hope so, (F/n). I really do." Our eyes met and I could see sadness in them. I know that the king and queen doesn't treat him right but he still cares for them.

   "They're going to be alright. I'll tell you the state of the Royal Capital immediately as soon as we get back." I squeezed his hand reassuringly. And I hope that Ecbatana is okay.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Disclaimer:

I don't own Arslan Senki (The Heroic Legend of Arslan). It belongs to Yoshiki Tanaka and Hiromu Arakawa. I only own some plot changes and the like but most of the story (characters, places, etc.) belong to the authors.

-=-=-=-=-=- 

A/N:

 Hope you like this chapter. Haha! Suggestions? Comments?