Chapter 9

(F/N)

   I followed the trail until it stopped in the middle of the forest. In the middle of nowhere. Not really stopped, more like it became hidden. I got furious at myself. Why haven't I thought of it? It was pretty obvious. They were on the run. They are being chased. But by whom? Flashbacks of my encounter when I started this travel of mine entered my mind. I grit my teeth and clenched my fists. Lusitanians. Who else would it be? Right now, they are the ones with the highest possibility of chasing Narsus and Elam. But for what reason? They won't do so unless there is a reason.

   Confusion and fear, those are the emotions that are surfacing among all the mixed emotions that I'm feeling right now. Confused of what is going on and fear for the well-being of my friends. I am not good in grasping the situation but I can certainly say that something has happened. And that something is pretty bad and most likely... Pars was invaded by Lusitania. Not was, is. Pars IS being invaded.

   But knowing Narsus, I know that he would have set camp somewhere near here. Somewhere where he could have a view of the enemies who would follow them. And maybe even amuse himself of the sight when the enemies came across the end of the trail. It would be certainly amusing. Confusion, irritation and anger becoming visible on their faces while they argue on which way Narsus' group are going. 

   Before I lost myself in another series of thoughts as usual, I unconsciously started to follow a small dirt path that were hidden by the bushes. It was a path leading up the mountain. Might as well get a better view from above and use the moon's light. It was nighttime and the darkness was becoming a big hindrance to my search. I reached the top and as expected, it had helped me had a better view of the place. It was not that accurate. It was not that clear, but it helped. I was able to spot a camp in the distance, not that far from where I am. Not really a camp more like a light that was being emitted from a fire that was lit and I just assumed that it was a camp.

   Maybe it's them but considering that they are being chased, Narsus would not risk them being spotted and would avoid anyone's attention to them. Most probably, it is the enemy. An idea then popped on my mind. "No. Too risky." I mumbled. Yes. It was really risky. The idea was slipping into the camp and eavesdrop on the conversation there, even if it just turns out that the camp is by a bunch of merchants, and then I'll leave. But I know, that if I want to find out more about what is happening, I must risk to know it. 

   I took out my map and put an 'x' mark on the spot where the camp is. I'm not good in memorizing directions and I had a 'bad sense of direction' problem so I always brought a map with me to avoid getting lost. After marking it, I put it in my pocket where I would be able to use it anytime I needed it, and headed towards the camp.

   I was nearing the camp which turns out to be Par's. I let out a relived sigh before stopping. As much as it is the Par's camp, I something is telling me that I must be wary. I leave (h/n) hidden by the trees and by the darkness and told (him/her) to be quiet until I returned. I was moving quietly into the main tent's back, trying to avoid going near the torches which could cast me a shadow inside the tent. The plan was slowly becoming a success, just a little more and I'll be in a part of the tent where I could even see the insides of it. Just a little more...

   "Hey you! Who are you?"

   A voice made me whip my head to its direction. A Pars soldier has his eyes on me. Eyes that were filled with disturbance to see someone sneaking inside their camp. A silent 'tch' escaped my lips as I reached out the dagger that I had hidden in my boots. I swiftly ran to the soldier, not giving him time to react and pulled the soldier's arm towards me, which caught him off guard making him stumble. I then placed my dagger on his neck while making sure that we were in a position where he could not easily fight back.

   "Tell me... Who's camp is this? I know that this is a Pars camp but who is the one who is in command here? And why is there a camp here?"

   "Like hell I would tell you," the soldier spat at me.

   "I have no time for games." Rather than killing the soldier, I knocked him unconscious. I then stole his uniform and put them on, but not before hiding his now 'sleeping' body in some bushes. It was a good thing that his uniform fit me. I hid my (h/c), (h/l) hair in the helmet to give a somehow boy appearance. This will make sneaking much easier. Avoid talking if not necessary, (F/n). Avoid talking just... eavesdrop. I smiled before walking inside the camp.

   What I saw wasn't what I had expected to see, it was nearly... empty. There were a few soldiers, just not much, who were running back and forth. I felt someone pat my shoulder and I turned to see who it is.

   "What are you doing here? You should be with the battalion that is heading to the mountainous region in the north."

   That confused me. "Why?" I asked in a not-so-good-imitation of a boy's voice.

   "Why? Didn't you hear the command? We are going there to pursue them. We are heading there because Arslan's group was spotted traveling through there and we must stop him. So go and chase after the battalion before Lord Kharlan notices that you weren't there."

   Pursue? Arslan's group? Stop him? Battalion? Lord Kharlan? A bead of sweat that had formed on my temple dropped to the floor. I stood there, staring at the soldier with wide eyes, not even moving a bit. What in the world is happening?

-=-=-=-=-=-

Disclaimer:

I don't own Arslan Senki (The Heroic Legend of Arslan). It belongs to Yoshiki Tanaka and Hiromu Arakawa. I only own some plot changes and the like but most of the story (characters, places, etc.) belong to the authors.