A sneak peek at Little's Prophecy

Disclaimer: This is just the first half of what me and Haunted_Shadows_ have written. Yes, Haunted is co-writing this series with me.

The wind sang gently through the flicking ears of a still feline, golden blades of grass tickling along his flanks and legs as the cat picked their way through the fields. It was early morning, the cold dawn sun just beginning to flicker over the horizon and release it's milky rays over the asleep world.

"It's too early to be hunting, Little." The complaint reached Little's ears, and the tom paused in his tracks to look over his shoulder. The soft voice belonged to a much smaller, round-bellied silver-furred she-cat, who look more so irritated with the tom than anything.

"Puddle, the prey is always more active towards dawn." Little explained gently, with a good humored purr, "Besides, you need all the mice you can get. You have all those little mouths to feed." For a heartbeat, Little leaned down, gingerly nuzzling his head against Puddle's kit-heavy belly.

Puddle sighed quietly, giving Little's ears a few gentle licks of her tongue, "Dear, there are plenty of mice in the barn. There is no need to leave the safety of our home to hunt." She explained, tail flicking once. "And don't even tell me it's because you want something other than mice for once, Little. You know better than to lie to me." Little huffed, but the tom didn't miss the glint of warning in her eyes. He backed down politely, offering a purr.

"I just thought a nice walk would be delightful, Pud." Little murmured, his nose brushing over her forehead affectionately. "Besides," he suggested, "I wouldn't want to leave our home in the middle of the day." The tom explained, licking his chestnut chest for a moment before slowly letting his gaze drift across the tranquil field.

The she-cat only lifted an eyebrow to her sturdy mate, her eyes softly narrowing, before the silver feline let out a quiet sigh. "Little, I understand that you want these kits to be healthy, but honey, realize I can barely walk at this point." Her blue orbitals softened gingerly towards the brown tabby, "You have nothing to worry about, Little. Fern and Holly are also in the barn. I'm sure they wouldn't let anything happen."

Puddle stepped to brush herself under Little's chin, purring softly at him, "Come on. We've already walked far enough, you can hunt for your 'outside mice' on the walk back." Her eyes glittered softly, and she gently brushed her tail over Little's ears before pivoting on her paws and turning back to the barn, looming in the distance.

Little surrendered with a quiet chuckle, "Alright, alright, I'm coming." He mused, casting the trees dappling the edge of the fencing a glance. The tom's whiskers trembled, and he himself turned to follow Puddle.