Chapter Thirteen

It occurred to Khushi that she really needed her question answered - were these men or little boys in the den? Every now and then there was shouting and whooping, and every now and then Khushi would look up from her work with distaste and annoyance. It was absolutely irritating!

They can't be grown men.

Khushi turned her attention back on the apple pie she was making. She har picked some apples from the trees earlier and knew that she had to make a pie with them. She especially knew how much Nani loved her homemade apple pie.

"Ooh pie!"

Avantika came hopping over and took an apple from the basket that held them.

"Nani is gonna go crazy tonight, that's for sure."

Khushi grinned and placed the top pastry over the pie carefully.

"Will there be a spare," Avantika frowned, knowing the small chances she'll have at getting even a small slice of pie, let alone anyone, thanks to her grandmother.

Khushi smirked and pointed at the oven. There was already another pie baking.

"Dope! Looks like Nani can feast over that one alone," she said sarcastically.

Khushi pursed her lips, trying to hide her smile.

"Don't tell me-! You made a pie just for her," she shrieked.

Khushi nodded with a grin.

"That is so unfair!"

Playfully rolling her eyes, Khushi picked up the pie. She went to the oven to place it in and turned to Avantika.

"How unfair-"

The sound of cheering filled up the air and Avantika frowned, placing her hands on her sides. "How ridiculous," she frowned.

Khushi scowled, rolling her eyes.

"You know you can be in there too. You are his best friend after all."

Not anymore.

"Besides, you used to before."

Exactly. Before I used to when I was an idiot. Not anymore.

"Khushi-"

"Hey Khushi!"

Khushi and Avantika turned to see Virat.

"Got anymore chips?"

Arnav entered the room, holding a tray. "And dip?"

Khushi shook her head, gaping at them, incredulously. Unbelievable! After all the chips and extra dip I put in! Savages!

Khushi frowned and took the tray from Arnav to refill it.

"Seriously Bhai, you guys are some savages," Avantika said, shaking her head.

Khushi pointed her hand at Avantika, gesturing exactly what I was thinking!

Arnav scratched the back of his head. "What," he said innocently. "Vikram brought beer-"

Arnav bit his tongue, wishing he hadn't said what he had just said. As he had expected, Khushi had stilled.

Fuck! I'm screwed!

Khushi turned to them slowly, ever so cryptically, as if she were in a horror movie. Only she was the demon and she was ready to get him. It was clear by the look on her face that Arnav knew what was going through her mind - what did you say?

"Oh you're so dead now," Avantika grinned devilishly.

Arnav gulped. "Khushi, it was Vikram who brought it-"