Chapter 1

Chapter 1

When I exited the airport a wall of hot and dry Californian air hit me like a rock. I squeezed my eyes shut, not wanting anything to blow into my eyes. The scenery here compared to New York, back home, was amazing. One positive aspect of this journey. Everywhere you looked you could see plants and green - so different than NYC. The birds were sitting in plam trees and the sweet smell of exotic flowers was everywhere.

I was the only one waiting for a taxi here and I was just one of very few people that had just left the plane and airport. This here didn't seem to be a huge city or there would have been a lot more traffic. But here you could actually hear the birds sing and the best thing was no-one bumped into you when you walked down a sidewalk.

The honk of an old cab brought me back from my thoughts, stopping right next to my feet.

"Miss? May I help you?"

The old grey bearded man was already by my side. I nodded at him and with a friendly smile he hieved my luggage into his trunk while I took a seat in the front. Just by now I let out a breath and relaxed into the hot leather seats.

"So where would you like to go, Miss?"

"I have the directions here.. A second please-"

"Sure."

I grabbed the papers from my purse and gave them to him so he could type them into his navigation system.

"Then let's get you to Yosemite, will we?" he laughed amused.

"What's is your name young Lady?"

"Noelle. Noelle Jardin."

"I'm Ben. That is a pretty name young Lady. My first granddaughter's name is Belle and she is the most beautiful human being I have ever seen.. Noelle and Belle almost sound the same, doesn't it?"

"Yeah.. That's true."

"So what are you doing here Noelle? Been on vacation in good ol' New York?"

"Um.. No. Actually I live in New York but my mother sent me here for summer camp."

"Ahh I figured.. Summer camp? Which one you're going to?"

"Element Camp For Teenage Artists. I sing and wanted to start playing the guitar this year.."

"Wow that is so interesting. When I was a young handsome man- You have to believe me I was pretty hadsome! All the girls were drooooling over me!" I had to laugh, the guy just send good vibes out.

"I went to Georgia every single year to this church camp and -Oh Lord- it was the best time in my life!"

"Really?"

"Yeah.. I don't believe in god anymore but that didn't matter back then! All that mattered was the fun we had at the beach.. Oh good old memories!"

"I've never been to a camp before and I actually got blackmailed into this by my mother.."

"Haha! Noelle parents don't blackmail! We want the best for our children and sometimes we know better what is good for them than they do.."

"I doubt that.."

"You will see when you have kids on your own young Lady. So what is New York like?"

"You have never been to New York?"

"Nope." He popped the 'p' and smiled cheekily at me.

"Oh.. well.. Where do I start?"

"Tell me everything you know and like about it!"