Chapter Forty One

When we got back to Dante's, I couldn't help but feel defeated. Depressed.

I tried so hard to escape and all that I ended up with was a fractured ankle, a cut hand and a throbbing head. Oh and not to mention the humiliation I felt facing Dante after trying to escape from him.

Once we were in the house he scolded me about leaving, but he wasn't as harsh as I thought he would be. Maybe he felt bad...

Well if he did, he wouldn't have told me that I wouldn't be allowed anywhere unaccompanied - I felt trapped.

I suppose it could be worse I could be living with a murderous psychopath who wanted to kill me...oh wait.

I mean, I don't think he wanted to kill me or he would have done it by now, plus he wasn't that bad. He did hurt my feelings sometimes and was very bossy, but for the leader of a mafia he wasn't unbelievably cruel to me.

Now it was the day after I returned from hospital. I didn't know whether I had to be up to work or not, so I set my alarm either way.

I woke up with a headache when the ringing sound of my alarm went off.

Almost immediately after I'd turned it off, my bedroom door opened.

I looked up and felt anxious when I saw Dante, maybe he wanted me up earlier today...

Although, when I saw he was wearing a pair of grey jogging pants that, uh fit in all the right places...and a tight, white muscle shirt that showed off every perfectly carved bicep and tricep and not to mention the six - possible eight - pack of abs underneath too, I questioned whether something was wrong. Usually he'd be wearing a suit.

I wasn't complaining though...

I realized I must have been ogling him when he cleared his throat.

"Morning, Leila." Dante strolled in with a smirk on his face. In his hand he held a tray? With food on it?

"G-good morning." I choked. What was going on?

"I thought I'd bring you breakfast, and the medicine the doctor prescribed you." he told me as he walked towards my bed.

I opened and closed my mouth in disbelief, before I realised I must have looked either so rude or absolutely stupid.

"Uh...thank you, Dante. Oh, uh sir?" I lost my train of thought and forgot what to call him.

He chuckled lowly and huskily "Dante." he said with a nod.

I threw him a small smile, but was still uneasy about the situation. Why was he being like this?

"What's wrong?" he asked as he sat down on the bed after placing the tray on the bedside table.

"Nothing..." I lied, and when I saw his face I knew he didn't believe me.

I sighed in defeat "Fine, I'm just confused that's all."

Dante furrowed his eyebrows at me "Confused about what, gattina?"

I gestured at him and the tray of food he brought up for me, before angling my head to the side slightly "All of this. You. I'm not trying to be rude, but you're dressed differently, you brought me breakfast in bed, you're being too nice...for you anyway and especially after I tried to run away. What's the catch? I'd rather you tell me now than play these games, Dante." I frowned.

Dante's face showed brief disappointment, before he spoke.

"You always think the worst in me, cucciola." he sighed.

Jeez, I wonder why, I thought sarcastically - although I did feel a little bad. Maybe he was just trying to do something nice for a change.

"Anyway, I'm wearing this because I've took the day off work. To look after you, and to make sure you don't try running off again," he looked at my ankle with an amused look on his face "not that you could."