Chapter 7

I woke up at seven a.m. to the sound of my alarm clock. I yawned, groaned, rolled over, and tried to go back to sleep. I hit the snooze button on the alarm clock, and sighed into my pillow. 

Of course the alarm clock went off again ten minutes later, when I was about to fall back to sleep. I sat up, groaned again, and then turned off the alarm.

I got out of bed and walked over to my dresser. I pulled out a uniform and changed into it. I tied my gun to my thigh, and then left my dorm.

I walked down the hall and out of the dormitories. I walked to class and sat in my seat.Yori walked in a few minutes later and sat in her seat, which was next to mine.

She didn't say anything. She got her supplies organized and patiently waited for class to start, while I stared at my hands and tapped my feet.

About 10 minutes later, right as the teacher was about to start his lesson, Zero walked in and took his seat. Really? I thought. I'm the one who was running all night last night, and he decides to come in late?

I looked back at the teacher as he started his lesson, and took all the notes I could. Then, when class ended, I closed my notebook and headed outside for some fresh air.

When I got outsid, I ran under a tree to escape the harsh light. I sat on the ground and leaned against the tree, taking deep breaths. The air felt amazing after being in a room filled with people. I closed my eyes, and listened to the beautiful sounds of the nature surrounding me.

***

I didn't remember falling asleep, but when I woke up, the sun was setting and the sky was a bright orange. I jumped up and headed to the gate that divided the day and night class students' dormitories.

Zero was already there, and he didn't look too happy. In my defense, though, he never looks happy.

"I thought sleping under trees and in barns in the middle of the day was my thing," he said with a small hint of a smile.

"I thought being early to disciplinary duties was my thing," I shot back, smiling.

"Whatever," Zero said, turning to a group of Day Class girls trying to sneak over the gate. "Hey!" he yelled, and the girls fell over in terror.

"Zero, don't scare them to death!" I said. I turned to the girls. "You are not allowedpast the gate. That rule was made by the headmaster and is not ever to be broken. If you have any questions or complaints, they are to be given to the headmaster himself. Please, go back to your dorms at once."

"Your lucky, Isabelle," one of the girls- tall, skinny, blonde hair- said. "You get to hang out with the Night Class!"

"I don't hang out with them," I said defensively. "Now get back to your dorms!"

Some of them reluctantly walked away, arms folded in front of them, looking as though they were going to kill me in my sleep. I stood my ground until the ones leaving were gone, and none of the others were looking, then shivered. I really hated girls who acted like that all the time.

The gates opened and the Night Class students walked through. I held back a group of Day Class girls who were trying to trample me.

Unforunately, the girls who weren't already trying to push me to the ground ran over to help the ones who were. Afther a few more girls joined them, I couldn't hold them back. I was knocked to the ground, and ever girl that was able to stomped on me as hard as they could.

The Day Class girs were completely surrounding the Night Class. They wouldn't move to save their lives, as it appeared.

Zero fianlly got through to them. "Everyone back off before I have the headmaster expell you all and you'll never see them again!"

The girls quickly backed off, and the Night Class walked to class. The girls watched them leave sadly, then glared at me.

"This is your fault!" a girl yelled, her black hair covering her eyes. "you made us not be able to meet any of the Night Class students!!!"

I backed up, but a brunette with blue eyes pushed me to the ground. The black haired girl kicked me, and everyone else decided to join in.

Zreo blocked any more girls from kicking me after a moment, and it hurt me that it took him that past moment to figure out whether or not he would help me.

"Now I could get you all expelled for bullying as well!" Zero yelled.

The girls screamed, then scattered almost perfectly, as if they'd practiced it all before.

Zero held out his hand and helped me up. I wasn't hurt, just shocked and startled.

Once I was standing on my own, Zero handed me a letter. It was addressed to me, from the Vampire Hunter's ouncil people.

I looked toward Zero, but he was already halfway to our training site. I tore open the letter, eager and nervous of what could be written for my eyes only.

Dear Isabelle Spade,

You have done a remarkable job as Zero's partner, and have the makings of a great Vampire Hunter. You just lack a few skills that are necessary for this job. First, you lack focus and alertness. You should have known about the Level E that had been following you that day, and you should have ou. Next, you lack the proper training. If Zero's training does not help you improve by next time,then we will have no other choice but to send in a professional. We all hope you recover fully soon.

Sincerely,

The Vampire Hunting Committee

I reread the letter over and over, trying to digest the information. Basically, what it said was I have to be better by the time I got my next assignment. If not, then either Zero wouldn't be my trainer anymore and I'd be stuck with a stranger, or I'd get fired. I'd rather die then get fired.

I ran after Zero and found him sitting on a tree stump in our training area. I handed him the letter and watched his eyes move as he read the words on the paper.

Zero looked at me when he finished reading. "You know what this means?" he asked, shaking the letter in his hand for emphasis.

I opened my mouth to answer, but he cut me off. "It  means you have to work your butt off in the next week. Ysciplinary job, and train as a hunter. Think you can handle it?"

I nodded. "I'll do whatever you say as long as I know wat your saying will actually benefit me."

Zero actually smiled a little. "You know me too well, you know that?"

I smiled as brightly and as innocently as I could. "Do I?"

"Alright," Zero said, "let's get to work!"