Chapter 5

I woke up around seven and looked out the window,. the sun was setting, and shining right into my dorm. I quickly stood and closed the curtains, so that it was nearly pitch black.

I walked back over to my bed and laid down. The sun gave me a headache, and that was enough sun for now. I turned on the lamp on the table next to me, picked up my book, and began to read.

The book I was reading was about vampires that turned to ash in sunlight. Wrong! I thought, smiling. Vampires could go outside during the day, but they didn't care for how bright the sun was. They come out at 8:30 every night for class, and most of the time, the sun is setting then, just like it would be tonight.

At about 7:30, I set the book back on the table and got ready for patrol. I put on my school uniform, then slipped on my little Disciplinary Committee arm sash thing. I tied my gun to my leg, just in case, and was ready by 7:45. I sat on the bed for the next fifteen minutes twirling my skirt with my fingers.

Zero knocked on the door at exactly 8:00. I walked over and answered the door, and saw him standing there in his school uniform and sash.

"Ready?" he asked.

"Yup!" I said. "Let's go!"

We walked down to the gate seperated the Day Class from the Night Class dormitories. At least thirty Day Class girls were already standing there, waiting for the gates to open and reveal the Night Class students.

I ran over and stood in fornt of all the excited teenage girls, waiting for a chance to take a look at the beautiful vampires. I started herding them like cattle away from the gate and off of the path. They didn't like that, but it was something that had to be done.

I looked over my shoulder to another group of students, and saw Yori holding them back. She'd been doing this a little longer than I had, and was just about on the same level as me. I was stronger than most of these girls, but not by much. Yori sent a smile my way, and I returned it before returning to push people toward the grass.

At 8:30, there was at least 50 girls outside the gate. I heard the gate open, and all the girls started going nuts as the Night Class started toward their classrooms.

I turned my head and saw two vampires walking and whispering to each other. I could't hear much of their conversation until the crowd quieted a little.

"She looks a little like Lady Yuki, doesn't she?" one asked.

""Who?" the other responded.

"That Isabelle Spade."

The second vampire looked in my direction, and I turned my head. "She does, sort of," she said.

I didn't hear the rest of their conversation, but as soon as the Night Class students were gone, the Day Class stopped their squealing and started giving me death glares.

"Why are the Night Class studen always talking about you?" someone yelled.

"Yeah!" about 40 others chimed in.

I ignored their ranting and stepped on to the path. "Go back to your dorms!" I said. "There's nothing else to see!"

They kept protesting and asking why the Night Class talked about me so much. I kept trying, but none of them would listen.

Zero walked on to the path and stood beside me. Ke faced the girls, gave them each a death glare, and then all the girls were gone in abouthree seconds flat.

"Thanks," I said to Zero.

He didn't answer, which I guess meant he had heard the vampire's conversation. Yori walked over and hugged me, and then looked me up and down.

I looked at her questioningly.

"You know." she said, probably not even noticing my expression, "you do look like Yuki." She had a sad smile on er face, which I don't think she noticed.

"Who's Yuki?" I asked her.

"She was Headmaster Cross's first adopted daughter," she said. "She was a Disciplinary Committee member, and knew most everything about vampires., one night, her brother, Kaname Kuran, turned her into what she was before she was adopted; a pureblood. Maybe you're related to her somehow."

"I doubt it," I said. "Wouldn't that make me a vampire too then?"

Yori shrugged. "It's probably coincedence then."

I nodded, and then looked at Zero. "Let's get our rounds over with, and then you can train me, okay?"

Zeor nodded, and then left.

"What's up with him?" I asked Yori.

"He was one of Yuki's best friends," she said, "and now fate has made them enemies."

"So I guess he hates talking about it, then," I said.

Yori nodded. "Good luck with your training!" she said, and then ran off so that she could patrol the area.

I went my way too, hoping Zero was okay. Maybe he just needed some time alone. Then a thought occurred to me; Where have I heard the name Kuran before?