Chapter 4

I woke up in my dorm room, which I was lucky enough to have to myself since I started school here late. I looked around at the familiar surrounding, and for the first time, I realized how dull the room was. The sheets on the bed were white, there was a dresser in one corner and a closet in another and the walls had nothing hanging on them besides a full body mirror by the door, making them look boring. I really have to do something about this, I thought.

I got out of bed, and slowly made my way to the door. I felt a lot better, and before I left the room I noticed it was daylight. That meant I had either slept for around twenty-four hours or only a few hours. I saw my reflection in the mirror as I turned back toward the door. I still had a bandage on my neck and the collar of my shirt was stained with blood. I walked over to the dresser and changed clothes.

I walked back over to the door and opened it. I left the room and walked to the headmaster's office. By the time I arrived, I felt completely fine and like my old self. I knocked lightly on the door.

"Come in," Headmaster Cross said.

I opened the door and walked into the room, realizing I had no idea why I was there.

When the headmaster looked up and noticed it was me who had knocked, he looked shocked. But as quickly as the look had appeared, it vanished.

I then noticed Zero was standing in the room, looking at me with no expression on his face. He knew me too well to be shocked by anything. But why was the headmaster so surprised by me coming to his office?

"Headmaster?" I asked. "How long was I asleep?"

"About 45 minutes," he said softly.

Wow. 45 minutes of sleep after so much blood loss? And I feel perfectly fine now, how? I was speechless.

"Well," Zero said, "as long as you're feeling better, I got some news from the council for you."

I stared at him. Not now, I thought.

"They say they were really impressed by you bravery, but-"

"They hated that I didn't kill her when I first found out she was a vampire?" I asked.

He nodded.

"I was following your orders!" I exploded in anger. "When she attacked me, she was moving too fast for me to aim and shoot her. When she grabbed me, she held my arms so tight to my sides that I couldn't move them. Then she bit me and drank me as fast as she could, so after a few seconds, I couldn't even hold my gun. I was surprised I was able to yell for you."

I know," Zero said, "and I told them that, but they want you to go out and try again in a few months, after you've had some more training."

"Then train me, Zero," I said. "I'm your partner to the end, right?"

He looked toward the ground, and then nodded.

"Then teach me. I feel fine. I'm pretty sure I've already been excused from the rest of today's classes." Then I looked toward the headmaster, who had been watching our arguement. "Right?"

He looked like he wanted to say something, but changed his mind and simply nodded.

"See?" I said, my attention back on Zero. "Let's go."

"Isabelle," the headmaster spoke up. "I think you should be resting instead of practicing."

"Why?" I asked. "I'm fine, see? I feel as good as new. Why do you want me resting so much? You're not the nurse."

"No, but I am your adopted father, and I'm telling you, you need to rest."

"But-" But your not my father! I almost yelled. Instead I said, "Can I at least go on patrol tonight?"

"We'll see," Headmaster Cross said. "For now, you should be in bed."

I stormed out of the room. Halfway to my dorm room, I realized Zero was behind me.

"What?" I asked, not turning to face him.

He walked up to me, stopping right beside me, and said, "We'll do our patrols, then I'll train you some more. Deal?"

I looked at him. His face told me he wasn't kidding, and I was ecstatic. "Deal!" I said with a huge smile.

"I'll get you from your room around 8, so we can guard the Day Class during the switch, then we'll make our rounds, and then we'll start training."

I wanted to hug him, so I did.

"Thank you," I said, and he hugged me back.

"No problem. Think of it as an apology for getting to you so late."

I smiled at him as I broke our hug. "See you at eight!" I called as I ran down the hall toward my room, where I would read or study until eight, or maybe sleep. Sometimes I hated being in the Day Class because of the stupid sun. But I'd rather put up with the sun then the vampires.

I got to my room, set a book on the table next to me, and went to sleep.