Chapter 3

The whole way back to the academy, Zero fought the pain he was feeling inside. Zero was gradually falling to a Level E vampire, and had been ever sense he and his family were attacked by a pureblood vampire. Ever sense then, he'd been working hard to be a great vampire hunter. He now has a goal to destroy all pureblood vampires, and I have decided to help him.

I don't remember much about my past. I remember I was attacked by a vampire almost eleven years ago, and nothing before that. My memories after that are pretty fuzzy, and I don't really remember much of anything before the orphanage I was placed in. I lived there for a long time, but no one seemed to want me. I ran away and ended up at Cross Academy, where the headmaster found me and let me attend, after hearing my story.

I surprisingly stayed conscious the entire time Zero was running. He glanced down at me occasionally, and screamed in pain and frustration several times.

Zero sneaked in the back door of the academy, and ran up to the headmaster's office. He opened the door without knocking and walked in, me still in his arms, too weak to move.

The headmaster stood quickly and told Zero to lay me on the couch. Zero did as he was told, then rushed out of the room, before his vampire senses took over completely.

The headmaster looked at me, and looked surprised when he learned I was conscious. "How on Earth?" he asked.

I couldn't respond. I could only blink, and even that took some effort.

Headmaster Cross put a bandage on my neck to help stop the bleeding, then walked over to his desk and picked up his phone. He dialed and waited.

"Yes, this is the headmaster," he said, the silence. "Yes, could you send Yori over here please?" Silence. "Thank you," then he hung up.

He walked back over to me and closed my eyes. "You should be unconscious. You know that, right?"

I tried to nod, but failed miserably. I heard a knock on the door, the door creak open, and then a gasp.

"Yori," the headmaster said. "Please find Zero and tell him to head over to the Night Class dormitories. The smell of blood has probably gotten them all worked up."

"Yes, Headmaster," Yori said, and then ran out of the room. I heard the door close behind her.

I couldn't sleep, so I opened my eyes. Headmaster Cross saw me and sighed. "How are you awake?"

I shook my head slightly, which also turned out to be an epic fail, then sighed.

"Try to sleep, alright?" he said. I followed his orders and closed my eyes. My heart was pumping too fast for me to sleep, but I pretended to sleep so the headmaster wouldn't fuss.

I could hear the commotion coming from the Night Class. Dang, they're loud! I thought. Did my blood smell that good to them?

It began to rain a few minutes later, and the sound of raindrops on the roof drowned out the voices of the Night Class.

The Night Class at Cross Academy has a secret that not many people know. It is made up of only vampires. They have classes at night while the Day Class students, human, sleep. It can be complicated, though, and Zero, Yori and I are on the Disciplinary Committee. We help keep the Night Class's secret hidden from the Day Class, and Sometimes protect the Day Class from the Night Class, and occasionally vice versa.

The rain was soothing, and I eventually fell asleep.