Chapter 2

We walked through the city and straight to the abandoned part of town, where most Level E sightings, including this one, took place. 

All the buildings that hadn't yet collapsed were cracked and filthy, but surprisingly sturdy. Zero stopped walking once we were out of sight from the people in the city. 

"Alright," he said, turning to face me, "you cover the left side, and I'll take the right. Don't kill any vampires that aren't the one we are looking for, unless they attack you, got it?" 

"Got it!" I said, saluting. He rolled his eyes and ran to his side of the abandoned town. 

I put down my arm and headed for my side. It was quiet; the only sounds were my footsteps and the wind. 

I pulled out my gun, just in case I found the Level E before Zero did, and held it out in front of me. I walked slowly and as quietly as I could, listening for strange noises. 

Then I heard what sounded like footsteps running closer to me from just around the corner. I flattened myself against the wall, and waited. The footsteps stopped, and I looked over to see a woman in a long black dress, looking at the ground. 

I held out my gun. "Excuse me, miss," I said, "but what are you doing here?" 

She didn't respond. Instead she walked toward me, stopping only a few feet away. 

"What are you doing here?" I tried again. 

"Looking for children to play with," she answered. Suddenly, she raised her head and looked straight at me, and I saw her glowing red eyes. She smiled, and I saw her vampire fangs. Now I had to figure out if she was a Level E. 

"Well, you definitely won't find any children around here," I said, patiently waiting for her to act. 

"Oh?" she said, stepping forward. "I think I just did." Then, she pounced. She was moving too fast for me to shoot, so I just tried to dodge her. After a few minutes, she caught me. 

"You look like a fine tasting girl," she said. Obviously, she could talk, which probably meant she was more of a Level D ½ then a Level E. Then she bit deeply into my neck, gulping my blood as fast as she could. 

I managed to stay conscious, but I was too weak to pull the trigger on my gun. It fell to the ground, and landed right in front of my feet. 

"Zero!" I screamed. The woman covered my mouth, but it didn't really matter. I wouldn't have been able to scream again anyway. 

The woman suddenly let go, and I fell to the ground. Zero had grabbed her by the hair, and had his gun pointed at her head. 

Surprisingly, she didn't fight back. "Do it," she said. "I don't want to hurt people anymore." With that, Zero shot her, and she turned to dust. 

Zero's attention then turned to me. Neither of us knew how I was still awake, and neither of us cared. That wasn't important. Zero saw the blood on my neck, and his eyes turned the same color as the Level E's. He ignored his pain the best he could, and carried me back to Cross Academy.