THIRTY-ONE - Another Side

UNEDITED

I walked down the dark stairways leading to the dungeon. The torch fire that Kyle was holding was the only source of light in this underground prison. Unlike before when I visited the dungeon, I could hear the moans of the prisoners and I scooted closer to Kyle as I occasionally checked behind me, expecting something to appear and murder me brutally.

Mother allowed me to go to the dungeons with the condition that I bring someone. I called for a chaperone and Kyle volunteered. He told me he was Jerard's hunting partner. The mentioning of his name brought pain in my heart.

"Don't worry, Your Highness. If it's any consolation, the Senate is actively looking for his whereabouts." He said with a small smile.

The hallway was damp and the stench was hard to bear but I endured it all, after all, this was my request. The fact that Ryszard was staying in this miserable place made me feel a kind of pain I do not want to acknowledge.

I felt numb.

My mother's words echoed all over my head. I couldn't speak a word, couldn't think of anything after the revelation that... that I once had a sister. And the reason for her death... It couldn't possibly be true.

Oh but it is.

A voice in my head sneered.

Now I understood my father's vehemence.

One prisoner managed to grab my dress and I let out a high, ear-piercing shrill as I tried to tug my dress out of those bony hands. Kyle flinched at my scream and when he turned around and saw what was happening, he gave the hand a strong kick and only then did the prisoner let go of my dress.

There was a dirty hand print left on my dress and I tried very hard to blink back the tears.

"That was a bit too harsh, Kyle." I said.

"With these prisoners, it is never too harsh Your Highness. There is a reason why they are imprisoned. As for the wretched man who grabbed you," he checked the number of his cell "he murdered his own wife and daughter."

I gulped the bile that was rising in my throat and followed Kyle who was already moving forward until we reached the very end of the hallway.

"Towards the right is Lord Rumplestiltskin's cell. There is only one cell in that area so I shall stay right here and give you two some privacy." He bowed graciously while I made my way towards a secluded corner.

There was only one window in Ryszard's cell and the moon cast an eerie glow in his form. His arms were raised by the chains that were bounding his wrists. His head was slouched and I could see another chain closing in his neck. His fiery hair lost its shine in this dark, miserable cell.

Ryszard was half naked and his chest was filled with light bruises that wasn't there before. I grimaced when I saw three scars in his stomach as if he was clawed by some sort of animal.

"Ryszard?" I asked cautiously.

At the sound of my voice, he raised his head and when he saw me, he beamed.

"Greetings, my love."

He had bruises in his face but despite the combination of blue and purple, he still looked striking as ever.

"Don't call me that." I said bitterly as I forced myself to remember what my mother had revealed to me.

He grinned crookedly. "Did Patricia finally spill her little secrets?"

"You killed my sister." I accused.

He was a man full of secrets, of that I'm sure. And I am still deciding if I can withstand the intensity of his secrets. There was a part of me that wanted him to deny my accusations, tell me that it was all a lie and he had no part in the death of Felicity.