SEVENTEEN - Run Away

UNEDITED

I need to get out of here.

Though I knew Ryszard wasn't meant to be trusted, this was beyond what I thought he was capable of. Claudia's words reverberated in my mind like a taunt.

I don't think you can handle what he is keeping from you.

I clenched my fists and threw away the paper that was essentially useless because the rest were written in the same foreign language. I grabbed the blueprint and shredded it into pieces, imagining it was that damn Ryszard.

How could he?

He acted so sweet and caring to me when he was planning the death of my loved ones all along! The image of the Palace, my home - destroyed and burning, the black smoke of the flame reaching the skies - made me shiver. The picture of Ryszard's golden-green eyes that used to look at me tenderly shifting to cruelty and ruthlessness made fear crawl all over me. It dawned to me that I never knew him all along. Beneath the charming smile, who was he? I was angry and I was also scared. Because in the end, I am just a powerless woman against the force of someone like Ryszard.

Slowly, I backed away, placing the lamp on the table and running away from the basement that held the plans of the destruction of my home. I didn't bother to find my way through the hallways and searched for a window instead. This would be my only chance to escape. Janno was nowhere to be found and Ryszard was thinking I was sound asleep.

When I found one, I tried pushing it open but it was locked. I tried to put force in it, flinging myself towards it but couldn't, I only hurt myself in the process.

No, this can't be happening.

I searched for something frantically when I saw a heavy, ceramic vase sitting in a corner. I dragged it towards the window and with all the strength I could muster, I lifted the vase and hurled it towards the window. The loud breaking sound made me cringe, knowing fully well it was heard all over the house. The shards of the glass scraped my bare arms, neck and face. By now, they should have a clue of what just happened. I only had a few minutes to escape.

I lifted my skirt and thanked God that I was on the first floor of the house. I jumped from the window, to the bushes, and ran as fast as I can without knowing where I was going. I was in the right side of the house and I ran towards the forest where the trees could hide me. I dodged branches and I could hear myself panting heavily as I ran nonstop, hearing a shout behind me. I wasn't sure who it was but I didn't care, I was out of the house.

I screeched into a halt when I found myself in a familiar part of the forest. I surveyed the surroundings and I saw the familiar line on the dirt that separated this part of the forest from the other side.

This was the forest in my dream when I first met Ryszard.

Only, this was nowhere close to the Palace unlike in my dream. I eyed the line warily and walked closer towards it slowly. I had a nagging feeling that something will happen if I cross the line.

I heard a rustle and I looked back and heard numerous footsteps bounding towards my direction, and I heard Ryszard's familiar voice.

Damn.

I panicked and ran towards the line, crossing it - not caring what will happen because right now, I don't want to be with someone like him.

When I did cross the line, nothing seemed to happen except that I crashed straight to someone.

"Ow!" I yelped as I felt myself fall on a hard chest. We rolled in the dirt until we were stopped by a boulder, the person hitting his head on it, while I ended up lying on top of him. I heard a grunt and I looked up and found myself looking at a pair of steely-blue eyes scrunched up in pain.