Chapter 17: Passion Blurs Lines

I'd be really interested to know where all my readers are from, whether that be in the US or beyond. Lemme know in the comments.

$$$

"Was that her?" Nelly asked Preston as soon as they entered the SUV.

Caught off guard, Preston's eyebrows furrowed as he looked over at Nelly, her eyes focused on the headrest in front of her. He felt heat rush over his body in a wave as he slowly realized what she might be suggesting. "Huh?" Is all he could muster, feigning oblivion.

Nelly huffed a breath in a humorless laugh. "Was that her? You know emerald green dress, no manners, seductive–Ariel was her name right? That's your mistress? The one that played your sister over the phone that one evening?"

Preston was astonished. His eyes wide, his mouth gaping, his ears red with what could only be assumed to be embarrassment. "I–uh, I..."

"She's beautiful you know. Of course, she's a bit ditzy and doesn't compare to me on many a level, but to each their own right?" she said, taking her compact out to wipe away her fading lipstick.

"H-how did you know?" Preston stuttered, his throat dry and his tongue tasteless.

"I mean I didn't really know, but you're doing a horrible job at convincing me otherwise," she answered him sardonically. "Plus it wasn't too hard to assume after you slipped out of the ballroom and came back with a guilty face, but her expression really sealed the deal for me. Her smirk read malice and her eyes victory. What'd you do? Have her give you a B.J. in the men's bathroom?" Nelly guessed a smirk across her face as his head hung in shame. Sometimes she really hated being right.

"Really classy. I suppose it is a good thing I knew she won before I got too invested in the fight," Nelly said, biting her lip and turning her head to look out of the window.

"Nelly, look I–," Preston began but was abruptly interrupted.

Nelly rose her hand in a gesture causing him to halt his speech. "Save your breath and apology. I don't need it. We aren't together. I knew what I was signing up for and a relationship was never in the cards. Save your guilt for the American people. The dilapidated state of America after the Trump Administration will be outstanding and with me by your side you will have a bipartisan view of all of the policies. Winning is all that matters, right?" Nelly looked into Preston's eyes for reassurance as to his agreement on this issue.

"Sure. Of course," he whispered back.

"Good." For the rest of the car ride, neither spoke, both much too invested in their own thoughts to give the other any consideration.

Finally they arrived home. Agent Malcolm opened the door, holding his hand out to help Nelly exit the vehicle which she happily took so as not to trip over her gown. "Thank you," she whispered to him, providing him with a polite smile.

Nelly rushed to the steps of the house climbing them before swinging open the large French door, rushing to the stairs that led to her side of the home. Nelly took the stairs two at a time.

"Nelly–!" Preston attempted to get her attention, but by the time he'd gotten to the bottom of the stairs she was gone.

Nelly flung open the door of her bedroom and kicked off her heels collapsing to the ground as her knees knocked in their own weakness. She stared at her left hand that lay against the soft carpeted floor, the ring that Preston had given her glinting in the dim moonlight. Nelly felt the first tear roll down her cheek as she saw her solemn future flash before her eyes. She roughly wiped it away, abrasively ripping off the ring that meant nothing to anyone associated with it, throwing it towards the left side of her bedroom, uncaring of whether it was damaged or not. She climbed to her feet, stumbling a bit over the length of her dress.