Chapter 12- Together Again

Start from the beginning

"As a matter of fact, I do", he confirmed as he opened the door. A gust of wind hits my face as I stepped out and followed Connor to the side of the road where, in fact, a red Vespa was parked.

"So are you also hiding a limo or a bugatti in your garage?", I teased as I watched him climbed on the bike.

"No", he said with an eye roll and a playful smile. "Climb on", he ordered as he glanced from the seat behind him to me.

I looked at the empty space, then at Connor. It just occurred to me now that I've never ridden a motorcycle before. And if things don't work out for me, like always, I'm gonna end up dead or injured before we even get to McDonald's or wherever it is we're going to hang out at.

"Hey, we can take Gabe's car instead, if you're afraid", Connor said softly as he looked at me with concern.

I gulped. "No. It's okay", I breathed. "I'll ride".

I awkwardly hopped on, adjusting myself and making myself comfortable. Connor watched me as I put on my helmet. Well, attempted to. I couldn't adjust the strap thing properly. It was too short, so I couldn't buckle it in. That's when Connor burst out laughing.

"The same old Andy", he said chuckling, and that's when my cheeks started flaming. "Here, let me help you", he offered, reaching up for the straps. I felt like I was going to stop breathing when I felt the touch of his hand- well, fingers- on my chin when he strapped it in. Butterflies almost erupted in my stomach and I was really hoping Connor didn't notice my daze. He gave me one more of his dazzling smile before turning back around.

"Just hold on and don't let go", he told me as he started the motor.

I would never want to, I thought to myself as I wrapped my arms around his body. I felt his biceps flex as he gripped tight on the handle bars and started driving. I sighed in contentment and leaned my head on his back.

As Connor drove around Huntington Beach, all I can do is watch in amazement at the scenery; the city lights, the beach, everything. Everything is so beautiful and different from what I'm used to back in Springfield. But it's a good different this time...

I sighed again and closed my eyes, trying to get used to what's happening because I still don't know. Just a mere two months ago, I was starting my Senior year back in Springfield. I was looking forward to a fresh year of just working hard for my scholarship to Yale, or any school for that matter, and competing with my dance team to win Regionals. I wasn't expecting to be shipped a thousand miles across the country with my bestfriend to live with her boyfriend and my... whatever Connor is to me these days... and their family.

But I guess I could learn to enjoy myself here in Huntington Beach. Right now, I'm enjoying myself ,being here with Connor and driving around the outskirts of the city. But then there's all the other things I gotta get used to, like school. Although I was pretty antisocial at the party, I did talk to some people like that Taylor or Tyler guy or whatever his name is. They seemed pretty nice.

I guess I'll enjoy myself here as long as if there aren't any unnecessary drama or tears or anything dramatic at all because honestly, that's what I've planned from the beginning. But this is Huntington Beach and it's Connor, Gabe, and the others we're talking about here. There's bound to be something dramatic.

All my thoughts got disrupted when Connor suddenly made a sharp turn towards the entrance of McDonald's parking lot. I yelped a little because I wasn't ready at all for that turn and I held on to Connor for dear life.

I'm only seventeen years old- way too young to die.

Connor drives over to the nearly empty parking lot and parks at one of the spaces. I watched him as he swiftly took of his helmet and hopped off the Vespa. That's when I realized if I don't know how to put my helmet on, how would I know how to take it off?