Chapter 28- Old Home

*This chapter is unedited*

"She wasn't bitter. She was sad, though. But it was a hopeful kind of sad. The kind of sad that just takes time."- Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

-

"How was your day, Andy?"

"It was fine."

"Yeah, what'd you do today that made it fine?"

"Nothing, really. I mean, I woke up, went to school, and now I'm here. There wasn't a speck of adventure or anything else interesting. So it wasn't fantastic or excellent. But it was fine."

"And how do you feel about that, it being just 'fine'?"

"Okay, I guess."

It's only been two days since my first therapy session and right after the first one ended, I knew that I had to go back. The first session, I believe, had really helped me and it was the first time I felt very open about dealing with all my problems and emotional trauma that I've been through. It was kind of a big eye opener for me as well and helped me see the other side of this baggage I've been carrying. I didn't feel so scared about admitting my feelings and letting people in my life. I didn't feel afraid talking about what's been haunting me these past few years. I mean, I used to. But not anymore.

So that's why I'm finding myself here again at the clinic, talking to Dr. Brown. It's Wednesday after school and this is how I'm spending my time. It's not like I was here alone, though. No, because Sierra, Jessie, and Rhea were all in the waiting room, lingering around until I finished. Zach had basketball practice, Gabe and Luke wanted to hang out with some friends from the football team, while he went off and did who-knows-what. So it wasn't like there was anything for them to do. I have to be honest, though, that at first I didn't want Jessie and Rhea to be here. I've prolonged as long as possible for them not to see this side of me- the side that isn't as strong or fearless as they had viewed me to be. I mean, I've always thought giving up and asking for help was a sign of weakness. But that's the thing with Jessie and Rhea; they didn't care that I was showing fragility. They just cared that I was finally seeking the help I needed. All they wanted was for me to get better. And I guess I have to love them for it.

"Well, Andy," Dr. Brown started as she scribbled down my aforementioned dialogues on her clipboard. "I remember on our last session how well you did and reacted to all my questions. You were very open and I just wanted to commend you for that. Now, is there anything you would like to discuss today?"

"No, not really."

"Is there anything bothering you or something you would like to voice out?"

"No. To be honest, I'm doing well."

She nodded. "Alright. Well, that's good to hear. Since you don't have anything in mind, would it be okay for you if I pin point on a specific topic?"

I nodded. "Go for it."

"Okay. I just wanted to talk about something you said during our first session. Again, if you ever feel uncomfortable while we're talking, feel free to stop me. But are you willing to talk about this with me?"

I shrugged. "Dr. Brown, I don't think I really have a choice. I mean, you're the therapist, right?"

"Everyone has a choice, Andy," she said slyly. "Even here, you have a choice."

"Then I say let's talk about it."

"That's all I wanted to hear," she smiled. "But I don't want to talk about your past. You still have current problems now, but your past is behind you for a reason and judging by what you've told me last time, you've overcome them already. There is still the issue about you letting go of them and moving on from them, but you've accepted them and for now, that's enough for me. I do, however, want to talk about how you've coped with all of these issues from the past."