When all her thoughts were back in order, Zelda knew her purpose in this age now. She was reincarnated by Hylia, herself, in order to defeat Demise once more.

She was to go to the Temple of Time, where she would travel back hundreds of years to seal herself away, while her chosen hero defeated Demise.

The hero went through countless quests, visiting every region of the Surface. He went through many trials, going through the Silent Realms in order to retrieve the three flames that the dragons of each region possessed. Those flames would enhance his Goddess Sword, soon revealing that with each of the three flames, he held the Master Sword in his hands. He went through another trial, learning the ancient song called The Ballad of the Goddess, and retrieved all three pieces of the Triforce.

Since he possessed all three pieces, the hero was able to wish for anything he wanted. So he wished for the extermination of Demise, to which his wish was granted, and the Goddess Statue in the sky plunged the area where Demise rested. Demise was thought to be defeated, and Zelda was freed from her thousand year sleep.

When Zelda and the hero reunited, Demise's servant, who was a demon lord by the name of Ghirahim, took the maiden and used the Gate of Time that the hero had opened, claiming that he could just resurrect his master in the past.

Ghirahim used Zelda's soul to reincarnate Demise, and the hero and Demise clashed in the long awaited battle that would determine Hyrule's fate.

The hero was triumphant, and defeated Demise. Demise's hatred for the hero and the goddess was sealed into the Master Sword. Demise had then placed a curse upon the hero and the goddess, claiming that whenever they were reborn, his hatred would take on a different form of evil each time and tarnish their lives.

The goddess and the hero were now bound to a terrible fate.

The Era of the Hero of Time

In a new age, Demise's hatred took on an evil form and was born into this era.

The hero was born into a forest, after a tragic incident. He thought himself to be apart of the now deceased Kokiri Tribe, and lived with the never-aging children of the forest, under the rule of the Great Deku Tree.

When it was finally time for the hero's destiny to play out, the evil man born into this era placed a curse upon the Great Deku Tree, in attempts to take one of the three Spiritual Stones.

The Spiritual Stones were one of the two keys to opening the door to the Temple of Time, where the Master Sword laid in slumber.

And in the Temple of Time, the Sacred Realm was located. Inside the Sacred Realm was where the Triforce rested, so this was the evil man's strive to collect all three stones.

The hero collected all three Spiritual Stones as a request from Princess Zelda. When the princess and her nursemaid, Impa, were escaping the castle one day, she had thrown the Ocarina of Time to the hero.

The Ocarina of Time was a special heirloom that belonged to the Royal Family, and was the last key to opening the Temple of Time.

The hero used these keys, and pulled the Master Sword from its pedestal.

Once he did so, he was put to sleep for seven years. The reason was, because since he was a child when the world needed him most, his body and strength would not be suitable enough for his adventure. During his seven year slumber, the evil man broke into the Sacred Realm and stole the Triforce of Power for himself. The Triforce of Wisdom and Courage had already belonged to its owners, so he could not get those pieces at the time.