Chapter Twenty Two: The Crazy Ex

Quincy

I watched, unable to move, as Reed pulled away from me and went to hit Ricky. I thought I knew exactly what was going to happen, considering I was starting to see a pattern with Reed: he tends to hit the people that come after me in any hurtful way.

Which is probably why what actually happened took a few seconds to compute in my head. Ricky had somehow managed to dodge Reed's punch and get his own in, slamming his fist against the side of my boyfriend's head.

I wasn't able to react until he crumpled to the ground.

Rushing forward, I landed on my knees, pulling Reed to my chest. He wasn't conscious, but at least he was still breathing.

Looking up at my ex-boyfriend, with tears in my eyes, I lost it. "You bastard! Why did you have to do that?"

Ricky shrugged. "He came after me. Really, it was just self-defense."

"He only came after you 'cause you provoked him!"

Kevin stepped in between the two of us, and shoved Ricky backwards. I didn't really pay attention to them after that, focusing more on trying to get Reed to wake up. I ran my hand gently through his hair before leaning over and kissing his forehead. "Please wake up, baby. He's just a little twerp, he couldn't possibly have hit you that hard. Please, Reed."

He let out a small groan so I quickly backed up to give him some space. Slowly opening his eyes, he focused on me. "What the fuck happened?"

I started laughing out of pure relief that he was awake. "Are you okay?" I asked, caressing his cheek. "How's your head?"

"I'm fine. But where is that fucker?"

I shook my head. "I don't know. Kevin sent him away, I think. Can you sit up?"

He winced a little when he sat up, but waved me away when I tried to help. Soon, I got him standing but he looked like he was about to pass out again, so I sat him down on my bed.

"I'll go get you an ice pack, alright?"

"Yeah. Thanks."

Giving Reed a kiss, I headed to the kitchen. Unfortunately, I didn't make it all the way there, because I found Ricky sitting on the couch with Kevin standing in front of him with his arms crossed over his chest. I really thought Ricky had left. What was he still doing here?

"Kevin," I started. He turned around. "Can I talk to you?"

He nodded before walking towards me, and motioned for the kitchen. When we were there, he pulled me into a hug.

"I didn't know. I'm sorry."

I shook my head, taking a step back. "It's not your fault, Kev. I didn't expect you to know. I was just wondering why he's still here."

Kevin shrugged. "Apparently he wanted to talk to you, to explain or some bullshit. Honestly, he's refusing to leave."

Sighing, I nodded my head slowly. Then I pulled an ice pack out of the freezer. "Can you go bring this to Reed? I'm going to talk to Ricky."

"Good luck, man," he said, grabbing the ice pack out of my hand. "Try not to also get hurt."

I scoffed. "Yeah. Don't know how he managed that punch. But don't worry, I'll be fine." At least I hoped so.

After Kevin left the kitchen, I stayed an extra minute to prepare myself. I didn't know what he wanted, and I didn't know what to expect. Taking a deep breath, I went out to confront my apparently crazy ex-boyfriend.