An Outing

The faintest hint of morning light gave the window sill distinction from the blackness of the wall. Louise jumped out of bed to rush into the bathroom. Karla blinked and then sat bolt upright when she heard the sound of Louise throwing up. She got out of bed then went into the bathroom to find Louise bent forward bracing her weight on her knees. Karla pulled her long dark hair back past her neck and twisted it into rope. One hand held her hair and the other rubbed her back. Louise stayed motionless for a while, then moved to the sink without straightening up. Karla followed, still holding the dark rope of hair.

Louise splashed water on her face, drank and spat mouthfuls. With her spare hand, Karla pulled the towel off the rail and passed it. Louise wiped dry then brushed her teeth. Karla, holding her hair and stroking her back, felt Louise lean into her, jiggling with the motion of brushing. Occasionally she felt a shudder move through her. As she stilled from brushing her teeth, the shudders resolved into sobs. Louise rinsed and spat some more, wiped her face dry then passed the towel back to Karla.

Karla took it and dropped it over the rail. "Making you sick again?"

Louise straightened up properly, eyes still glistening, and held Karla's cheeks gently in her palms. "You never did make me sick Karla, never ever have you made me sick." She looked at Karla's lips as her thumb gently traced their edges. Karla let her eyes drift shut and breathed. "I really am sorry Karla, so very sorry. If you'd cut me off for months, I would've died. I asked Mum to call you. Almost every day." She pulled Karla's face close so their cheeks brushed together and she hugged her tight.

Breaking the hug, Louise took her hand and led Karla back to bed, closing the door behind them. There was enough light now to make out the paleness of Karla's face as she looked up, framed by dark curls.

Karla spoke, "Why did you throw up? Are you sick?"

Louise slid into bed, lying on her back and shuffling Karla over to share the pillow. "I saw him again in my dream, grabbing at me from out of the bath tub."

"Louise, I don't know what happened. Who is dead​? Who was trying to grab you? And which one Louise, was naked?"

"There was only one man. He was lying naked, dead in the bathtub. I went to touch his face to be sure, then his arm came at me so I ran. But I think as I turned down the hall he must've just sunk back under the water. I don't think he came after me at all. I think he's dead. Still."

"Still dead?"

Louise started to weep. Karla turned on her side to face her and let her hand brush gently over her belly. She felt the muscles tighten as Louise fought back the tears, making no sound. When her breathing settled enough she spoke, but her voice was thin, "I went to see my natural father, I was picturing him so happy to meet me. Then I find him floating in a bath, dead, and scaring the crap out of me." Karla slid her hand down off her diaphragm as it heaved. She waited for her to speak.

"How could he be dead, the moment I go to meet him? That's just not fair. Not fair at all."

Karla hugged her closer. "No Louise, that wouldn't have been fair, but I'm not sure he was your natural father." She looked at Louise's face who was staring at the ceiling. "I went into the house when we tried to find you. I saw what it looked like Lou. Why did you walk into an empty house? Why didn't you just run for your life?"

"Run? I knew where I was Karla. I was at my father's house. Why would I run?"

"Was the rest of the house empty?"

"Mostly. There was a bed, with a cover and a gift on it. A silk night dress with cherries."

Karla gripped Louise's arm and propped herself up on her elbow to lean over her. Pinning Louise to the bed she said, "And you didn't run then? That is pure creepy. That is just wrong."