Dark Neighbourhood

The evening air was cool for this time of year. The stars in the clear sky were brighter in the absence of the moon. It was quiet, no traffic, not even in the distance. She walked up the street a while before checking the time on her mobile. For a second she hurried her pace as she tried to stuff her mobile into a pocket of her shorts. Then slowed again until her eyes, useless from looking at the screen of her mobile adjusted to the dark. There were only occasional street lights on the corners in her area, leaving the darkness to swallow up the spaces in between. As her vision cleared, the grey of the concrete path became distinct from the blackness of the dark and she hurried along faster.

Without warning, the sudden, ferocious barking of a dog made her freeze. She looked to the side where it was coming at her from then was relieved to see the fence between them. Even so, she moved back until she stepped down onto the road. It did not stop barking and even from that distance she could make out the flashing of white teeth when it snarled. She kept walking, watching sideways as the dog kept pace with her along the fence line. As she neared the end of the yard, another dog ran up from the next yard to join in. This one seemed equally ferocious, but because it was not so unexpected, didn't menace her like the first. Then as the first one was held back by its side-fence, the second took up the barking escort. By the time she left the two dogs behind her she was frazzled. Her arms were folded and pressed tightly against her chest, sweaty palms faced in.

With her blood still rushing through her veins, the noises of the night took on a sharper, closer quality. A lonely bird called for its mate in the distance. A cricket stopped its chirping as her footsteps approached then resumed its night music once she'd passed. Even the gentle breeze sent audible rustles through the trees. As she approached the crossroad that bus stop 118 was on, she looked at her phone again. This time, when she could see clearly again, she broke into an easy jog, keeping a steady pace until she rounded the street corner.

The bus stop was still some distance away from the corner. It was lit by a bright street light. In the surrounding darkness, it looked like an island of light in a pitch-black sea. Squinting at the gap in the bus shelter, between the wind break and the ground, she couldn't see the feet of any waiting passengers. Her jog settled back down to a fast walk. When she finally reached the empty shelter she flopped onto the seat and caught her breath. The cigarette butts, drink lids and other rubbish scattered around all cast sharp shadows on the ground. Little dark streaks in the bright, blue-white light. She leant forward on the seat to see further down the road, but nothing was visible outside the pool of light. This could have been the whole world with nothing beyond. She hugged herself, squeezing the tops of her arms below her short sleeves.

* * *

The shrill whistle of Josh's coach screamed across the sports field. "That'll do boys. We're running late, so will have to cut it there."

Josh had been running along the sideline, then dropped his pace to jog a few steps, before easing into a walk. The coach addressed Josh directly as he approached, "You had a big fall, out there. Are you sure you're still feeling alright?"

"Yeah, fine thanks Coach."

Another boy quipped, "He's feeling good Coach."

Then another joined in, "Yeah, real good."

Coach stopped them, "Enough of that boys. Now don't forget, two good runs this week, minimum five kilometres."

Josh looked at his watch. If he missed this bus, the next bus was another hour. He grabbed his sports bag then started to head across the field.

"Hey Josh, wait up. You still haven't told us how it was with Cassandra."

Josh half turned, but kept walking, "Seriously. Like I said, I don't remember nothin'. Last I recall, I was avoiding her."