Third Night (Part 1)

The living room is brightly lit when we go up. There's another note from the killer on the coffee table. How does the killer do that? How can he or she be so fast to kill people and place the notes around? Ronald reads the note aloud.

We're changing the rules a bit, I hope you all don't mind. I've placed small bags all around the house. When the game starts, the lights will be turned off. Your aim is to find the bags. One person can only take one, the one you find will be yours. Do not open the bags. After an hour, you all have to come down and open your bags together. There are three possibilities: you can get the immunity card, hint card or task card. The immunity card allows you to not play the game for one round, the hint card gives you a hint about my identity. If you get the task card, you will need to complete the task that is stated on the card. There will no cheating in this game. If you cheat, I hope you're not very attached to your head. This is going to be fun, I promise. Oh, and be careful when you look for the cards later, there are booby traps all around. Also, I will be killing one person every round so keep your eyes open.
Sincerely, the killer.

"Guys, let's do a head count. We should have fifteen people, excluding Kimmy and Gerald." Dave calls to the room. "When I say your name, just respond. Ronald!"

"Here."

"Ash!"

"Over here."

"Haley."

"Yes."

"Sheila."

"Mmm..."

"Charmaine."

"I'm here," I say.

"Erica."

"Present."

"Justin."

Silence.

"Justin?"

Silence.

"You think I can't see you over there? Get out from behind the curtain." Dave shouts. Justin comes out, doubling over in laughter.

"IT'S. NOT. FUNNY." Dave huffs. "There's a killer among us you think it's funny to make that kind of joke?"

"I was only trying to lighten the mood." Justin retorts, rolling his eyes.

Dave shakes his head and continues. "Lewis."

"Yup."

"Mary."

"She went to the bathroom." Amy replies, "Tash and Brooklyn are accompanying her."

"Okay. Mark and Chris? Are you both here?"

"Yeah, both." Chris grunts.

"Let's wait for Mary and the other two," Erica says, so we wait. But after ten minutes, they're still not out.

"Should we go and check?" I ask.

"I'll come with you," Erica offers.

"Me too," says Haley.

The three of us walk to the bathroom cautiously, the door isn't closed. Tash, Mary and Brooklyn are all lying on the floor with cracked skulls. Tash's neck is stuck out at an odd angle.

"Are they..." Haley begins.

"I'll go check." I go over to them and try to feel for a pulse. I shake my head. "They're all... dead." A finality comes together with the word and I feel a sudden pang of sadness and guilt grip hold of me. Crushing my lungs, forming a big knot in my throat, constricting my breathing. Hailey throws up all over the floor. We walk to the lounge slowly, the heavy weight in our hearts weighing our whole bodies down.

"What happened?" Amy asks, seeing the looks on our faces. "They're not..."

"Dead." Erica replies. Amy gasps and murmurs break out all over the room. The lights turn off again.

"Wha..."

"I think that means the game has begun," I say.