Broken Lullabies

Emily lay in her bed, trying to keep her eyes open. It seemed like every time she went to sleep lately, she had horrible nightmares, and she was getting tired of them. She had managed to keep her lack of sleep hidden from her parents so far, but Rachel and Will knew something was going on. She tried to keep her eyes open, but exhaustion quickly overtook her, and she drifted off to sleep. She saw her biological parents again, and remembering the screaming and yelling, as well as the blows. She saw herself, cowering in a corner, trying to shield herself.

"No...please....no...leave me alone!" She heard herself saying that, but didn't see her lips moving. It was about midnight, and Joel had woken up for some reason. He lay there, trying to go back to sleep. Then, he heard something. Crying, and a voice. He slid out of bed, going down the hall.

"No...please, no. Leave me alone! No, don't!" He hurried to Emily's room, finding her tossing, tangled in her covers. She was crying in her sleep, trapped in a nightmare. He went in, and sat beside her on the bed, gently shaking her.

"Emmy. Emmy, wake up." She still didn't awaken, tears pouring down her cheeks. He pulled her close, shaking her a little harder.
"Emmy. Emily, wake up. It's me." Her eyes shot open, and he saw the fear in her eyes.
"Dad....I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you up." He gently hugging her, and he felt her shaking.
"Emmy, what was that? Nightmare?" She nodded, pulling away.
"It's not the first time recently. It's....never mind." He shook his head, taking her hands.
"No, I need you to tell me." She sighed, looking down.
"It's like flashbacks. I keep seeing my biological parents and foster parents. And...what they did to me." He held her close, and started singing softly.

Lovely child, lay your head and sleep
Dream of a world full of circus rides
And golden streets.

Lonely child, why are you so sad?
Why do the tears fall so easily?
You're too young to weep.

So you pray, and you wait
For the better days when you'll be safe.
And someday soon, you'll find where you belong
Where there are no more broken lullabies

How long child, have you been afraid?
When was the last time you laughed out loud
The last time you played?

You build your walls with blankets from your bed
You hide underneath them
You close your eyes and try to forget.

And someday soon you'll find where you belong
And one day soon you'll leave it all behind
You'll find a place where love remains
Where there are no more broken lullabies

I know you feel like you're alone
But you're not
And I know you feel like no one knows
But you're wrong

So you pray and you wait
But don't worry, I will keep you safe

Someday soon you'll find where you belong
And one day soon you'll leave it all behind
You'll find a place where love remains
Where there are no more broken lullabies

Joel finished, and looked down, seeing that Emily was now fast asleep. He chuckled slightly, moving her back onto her pillow. He sat beside her for a few more minutes, making sure she was really asleep. As he headed back to his bedroom, he stopped in the doorway.

"There are no more broken lullabies."

Hey!! What did you guys think? And should I do a similar version on this one with Rebecca, or no? And any suggestions for songs I should do a one shot based on, For King And Country, Moriah Peters, or others. Thanks for reading!!- Craver_Priceless