New York

Rebecca grinned, turning around. She, her cousin Emily, her uncle Joel, and her dad, Luke, were in New York City.

     "This is amazing! I can't believe we've never been able to do this before!" She said, grinning, and her dad, Luke, laughed.
     "Well, we've been slightly busy the last times we've been here." She shrugged.
     "Eh, true." She looked up, trying to see to the top of two huge buildings.
     "Whoa! Are those the Twin Towers?" Joel laughed, looking at his niece.
     "Yeah. You want to go with me to the top of the South Tower?" She nearly started jumping, and looked at her dad.
      "Can I, dad?" Luke chuckled, looking at his daughter and the eager look on her face.
      "That's fine. Emily, are you going to go with them?" She stepped back, shaking her head.
      "Nope! I don't do heights. No, thank you. Just get some pictures, alright?" Joel chuckled.
      "That's fine. I figured you might say that. We'll be back in a little bit. Meet at the Rockefeller Center?" Luke nodded.
      "Meet there in 45 minutes. Have fun!" Rebecca smiled, going with her uncle. The 14 year old had no clue what to expect. They went up to the 60th floor, looking out over the whole city. Suddenly, they saw something. A really low-flying Boeing 757. Then, it crashed into the North Tower.

      "No!" Rebecca's good hand went to her mouth, shocked.
      "Let's go." Joel said quietly after a couple minutes. They started moving towards the elevators. Suddenly, an explosion shook that building, and Rebecca fell, crying out in pain. Joel dropped to his knees, covering her in case anything else happened. When nothing did, she tried to stand.

      "Ah!" Her ankle was already starting to swell. Joel helped her up, and she leaned on him.
      "Stairs it is." He said, and they headed that way. Meanwhile, Emily stared in shock as clouds of smoke rose from the towers.

      "Uncle Luke!" He turned, staring in shock as he remembered.
      "Joel and Rebecca." He whispered, and Emily felt like she'd been punched in the gut. Joel was her foster dad, but she felt at home with him. She saw a police officer, and ran towards him.

      "Excuse me, but what happened at the towers?" He looked at her, startled. 
      "You didn't hear? Two planes were hijacked, and they were crashed into the towers. It was intentional. Why?" She stared, shocked.
      "My dad and cousin were in the South Tower." She whispered, as he bowed his head.
       "I'm sorry. We'll do everything we can. But, to be honest, I can't promise anything." She nodded.
       "I understand." He turned, running back towards the towers. She walked back over, and sat down on the bench, sobbing. Luke sat beside her, wrapping his arms around her, trying not to cry. He pulled out his phone, calling Courtney.

       "Luke?" He tried to catch his breath, watching as different emergency vehicles raced towards the towers.
       "Courtney, you need to turn on the news. Something happened." He heard it turn on, and she sucked in a sharp breath.

       "No. Oh, God, pleas don't let this be true. Luke, are you all safe?" He closed his eyes, fighting the tears.
      "Courtney.....Rebecca and Joel....they were up there." He gasped, struggling to breathe.
      "No!" He heard a clatter, and he heard her sobbing, and nearly screaming.
      "God, no, please! No!" He finally gave up, letting the tears stream down his cheeks. He and Courtney had just adopted her less than two months ago. They couldn't lose her this soon. Meanwhile, Joel and Rebecca were struggling to make it down the stairs, along with everyone else. They were both coughing, the smoke taking over their lungs.

       "45. We're almost there, Beki. Almost there, ok?" Her eyes started closing, and she nodded weakly.
       "Yeah...Almost there...." Then, her legs gave out, and she collapsed, unconscious.
       "No! Beki, wake up. Come on." She didn't stir, and so he changed his mind. He scooped her up, and started going again. It was very slow moving, as so Manu people were trying to get out. Hundreds, maybe even a couple thousand. Finally, after a little more than an hour, he made it out right. But right as he got our, the North Tower started coming down. He tried to get away, but couldn't move fast enough. He quickly set Rebecca down, using his body as a shield. Then, after a couple minutes, it was over. The tower had collapsed. He scooped her up again, but everything was going blurry. He tries to keep moving, but was intercepted by two paramedics.

     "Please...help...." He gasped, and then everything went black. When he came to, he realized he was in a hospital room. Rebecca sat nearby, her leg in a cast, and an oxygen mask over her face. She smiled weakly, waving. He sat up, his head spinning.

     "Ow....you ok?" She smiled, nodding. A nurse came in, smiling.
     "Well...I'm glad you're awake. You've been out for about three hours. You should be good to go by tomorrow." He nodded, breathing a sigh of relief.
      "Thank you. Is Rebecca allowed to take the mask off?" She chuckled.
      "That's fine." She left, and Rebecca took it off.
      "They said the phone lines are out, so we can't call anyone." Joel nodded, leaning back.
       "And they probably think we're dead." Rebecca nodded, looking down sadly.
       "I hope we can get back home, and fast." Joel nodded. A week later, they climbed out of a red truck, driven by a kind middle-aged lady.

       "Thank you!" Joel called, and Rebecca waved, crutches under her arms. It had taken them a couple days to get out of New York, and they'd found someone headed for Tennessee. Joel headed up to the front door, Rebecca trying to beat him.

      "Snot rockets! You're going too fast!" She complained teasingly, hopping up. She smiled, but Joel saw the pain and fear in her eyes. Being in the tower had scarred her emotionally. He unlocked the door, letting her go in first. Courtney came down the hall, rubbing her eyes.

       "Luke, I thought you said you weren't-" She stared, shocked, when she saw her daughter and brother-in-law there. Rebecca smiled slightly, moving towards her.

      "Hi, mum." Courtney wrapped her arms around her, starting to cry. Luke came opened the door.
      "The meeting ended early, so we were able...." His voice trailed off, seeing Rebecca and Joel there.
      "Hey, little brother." Luke hugged him, and Courtney and Rebecca saw they were both crying.
      "Don't ever do that again. I thought you were dead. And Rebecca...." She smiled..
      "I'm not planning on going anywhere anytime soon." They became a part of history that day. September 11, 2001.

Author's note- Hello! Sorry for the slightly sad one. I figured it would be a reminder for us, on the fifteenth anniversary of that tragic day. I know I messed with the timelines, but oh well. Thanks for reading! And do put ideas in the comments! Thanks to ThisWillBeLovely for starting the role-playing book these characters were from. Emily is christismysaviour, and Rebecca is me. Thanks again! :)