Ceasefire

Rebecca, Emily, Joel, and Luke sat on the couch, watching the news....again. Things had been crazy for the last few weeks, ever since Evan Lewis had been elected president. Fights had been breaking out all over the country because of tension between different people of different religions. Emily sighed, leaning against her dad.

     "I wish things would just calm down. I'm tired of being scared every time we leave the house." Joel gently rubbed her back.
      "I know." They had to go back and forth between their house and the hospital fairly often because of her chron's and Rebecca's lymes, and both had been acting up a lot lately. And right at that moment, Rebecca ran out of the room. They could hear her in another room, throwing up. Then, Luke sighed.

       "I wish she weren't this sick. It breaks my heart, seeing her this sick and knowing I can't do anything about it." Joel nodded as Emily left the room, heading for the other bathroom, also losing her lunch. Luke stood, going to get Rebecca's medicine. She leaned against the cabinet, her eyes closed. He knelt beside her with the orange container and a glass of water.

       "Hey. Here you go." She opened her eyes slightly, taking the glass and the two pills her dad handed her, quickly swallowing them. She closed her eyes again, feeling exhausted.

       "You wanna head to bed?" He asked, and she nodded.
      "Yeah. I just wanna sleep for a week." He chuckled, and gently lifted her up, taking her to her room. He set her down on the bed, and she pulled the covers up.

       "Dad? You think we should do Ceasefire for the Good Morning America performance next week?" He smiled, sitting down beside her.
       "That's a good idea. If you're feeling up to it, you wanna take front on it?" She smiled weakly.
       "Sure." He gently kissed her forehead and left, finding Emily half asleep on Joel's shoulder. He chuckled, and went to get a glass of water. When he came back, Joel had lay Emily down and put a blanket over her, moving to the loveseat.

      "Becki suggested we do Ceasefire next week." He raised his eyebrows.
      "Oh, really? That's actually a really good idea. Maybe we can get some people's attention with that." Luke snapped his fingers, pointing at his brother.
      "I've got it. Get Emily in on it as well, of she's feeling up to it. Maybe we could write a short monologue for her to do at some point in the song." Joel grinned.
      "I like the way you're thinking. Let's do it." A week later, both girls were feeling decent, so they prepared for the performance that would very possibly either help bring peace.......or make things a whole lot worse....for them, and possibly for other Christians. They got ready, and then started the song.

       How do we save a life pointing fingers?
       How can we end the fight this way?
       When blame is the truth we're preaching
       And lies are what we're believing
       No one ever wins when the goal is to settle the score.

       One by one we will call for a ceasefire
       One by one we will fight for a better end
       One by one we will rewrite the headlines
       Standing side by side
       One by one love is built in an empire
       One by one reaching out to our enemies
       One by one we will make it to the finish line
       Standing side by side
       Ceasefire

       I'll be the first to say I'm far from perfect
       But grace was made for those who don't deserve it
       So easy to cast the first stone
       Push harder to search your own soul
       No one ever wins when the goal is to settle the score.

       One by one we will call for a ceasefire
       One by one we will fight for a better end
       One by one we will rewrite the headlines
       Standing side by side
       One by one love is built in an empire
       One by one reaching out to our enemies
       One by one we will make it to the finish line
       Standing side by side
       Ceasefire

       Teach us how to live humbly
       Love unconditionally
       Transform our hurt into hope
       And grant us your peace
      Teach us how to live humbly
      Love unconditionally
      Transform our hurt into hope
      And grant us your peace

      At that part, they had the same music, but quieter and a little slower. Joel quickly moved to let Emily up, and she took her place, starting the monologue.

      "A ceasefire is a peace treaty or agreement. Now, all that is seen here in our lives is anger, bitterness, and strife. It is tearing us apart at the seams, and will continue to do so. If we ever hope to truly become a nation again, the fighting has to stop. We have the power to change it. We, as individuals, and together as a nation, have to make the move to end it. We have to be the ones to call a ceasefire." She moved back, and they continued.

       One by one we will call for a ceasefire
       One by one we will fight for a better end
       One by one we will rewrite the headlines
       Standing side by side
       One by one love is built in an empire
       One by one reaching out to our enemies
       One by one we will make it to the finish line
       Standing side by side
       Ceasefire

        They finished the song, and the room exploded into cheers and applause. Emily, Rebecca, Luke, Joel, and the band moved to the front, taking their bow. They may not have changed the world right in that moment, but they had gotten the word out. Everyone could help stop the fighting. Every one could take a stand. And together, they could call for a ceasefire.