Homesick

I know this is sad, and I'm sorry. But I was listening to a song, and reading a book by Ambidextrous-Drummer and couldn't get the idea out of my head. So....I'm sorry. And don't hate me. :(

         Rebecca Smallbone sat in a meeting with her dad, uncle Joel, and the rest of the band. They were discussing the upcoming tours, and the new song she had written with her fiance, Connor. They were getting married in three weeks, and the twenty-three year old was more than excited.

        "Well, I think that would actually work. Because we've got Without You that Courtney and Luke did, The Way Back Home that Moriah and I did, and now this one. I think it would be fine for him to do it with her." Joel said, juggling wads of paper. She smoothly knocked all three out if his hands, still looking across the table at her dad.

       "Rebecca, you'll be back in six weeks, correct?" She looked at her granddad, who was also the manager.
       "Yeah. We'll be gone about ten days." He nodded, and opened his mouth to speak....right as her cell phone rang. She didn't recognize the number, but she still went to the other side of the room to answer it.

       "Hello?" She heard a lot of noise in the background, then a woman's voice.
       "Is this Rebecca Smallbone?" Luke watched her, confused.
       "Y-yes, I am." There were more voices in the background, and then the woman's voice again.
        "Miss Smallbone, your fiance, Connor Evans, told us to call you. He was in a car accident about 90 minutes ago." She froze, feeling like she'd been punched in the stomach.
       "Is...is he alright?" There was silence for a minute.
       "Miss Smallbone, I...I regret to say that he passed away about ten minutes ago. I'm very sorry." She hung up, dropping to her knees, sobbing.

        "No! God, please, no!" She screamed. Then, she felt arms around her, and heard her dad's voice.
        "Hey, it's okay, baby. What happened? What's wrong?" She couldn't breathe, but choked out the words.
        "Connor....he's....he's gone...." He gently helped her stand, leading her out. He quickly said something to Joel, and then they left. He took her back to their house, and by the time they arrived, she couldn't even cry anymore. She was just numb. Her fiance, the man she loved, was dead. Her wedding wasn't going to happen now. Luke gently led her inside, taking her into the living room. She kicked off her shoes, laying down on the sofa and curling up into a ball. Courtney came in, confused as to what was going on.

       "Luke?" He gently took her hand, and Blaire came running in, laying down and snuggling with Rebecca, who gladly accepted the hugs.

       "Luke, hun, what happened?" He led her into the kitchen.
       "She.....She got a call that....that Connor....Connor's dead. It was a car accident." Courtney stood there, shocked for a minute. Then, she started crying. Luke pulled her close, finally allowing the tears to escape. Connor....he was family, even though he and Rebecca would never have the chance to have their wedding. Three days later, they all gathered in the church to say their final goodbyes to him. Emily was doing a couple songs, and Becki had picked one of them. Homesick, by Mercy Me. After the service, they all went to the graveyard. Rebecca couldn't even watch as they lowered the coffin down in, scooping the dirt in. She buried her face in her dad's shoulder, sobbing as he simply held her close. After it was over, she knelt by his grave as her parents and siblings stood a few feet away.

        "Emmy was right. I close my eyes, and I see your face. If home's where my heart is, I'm out of place. Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow, because I've never been more homesick than now." She stood slowly, taping a laminated version of their engagement picture on the gravestone.

         40 years later

                  "Rebecca Smallbone wrote three days ago on a pad of paper in a letter to her late fiance, Connor Evans, that she was still saving her first kiss for him. And I know, right now, they are finally having their long-awaited reunion......"

       Rebecca smiled, running to Connor, who smiled, hugging her.

      "You still homesick?" She smiled, and he gently kissed her. She looked up at him.
       "Not anymore."