Chapter 16

"Well, we gotta go home some time right?" Aurora asked, I wondered if she hoped I'd say no, and that we could walk around all night. But, frankly, I was beat, sore and my feet were cursing me. Not to mention that it was fucking freezing outside, and I needed to find some place to stay for the remainder of the night.

I shrugged, not wanting to tell her that yes, we had to go home. She had the choice, of course, but I didn't. I couldn't go back to that. Not yet. I needed to spend the night actually sleeping, and not waking up to every single little noise, thinking He was finally coming for me.

Aurora smirked, messing up my hair, "You are no help, Matthew. You gonna go home?" She looked at me, begging me to say no. If no hadn't been my answer before, it was now. I shook my head and watched the relief flood across her face. I pulled myself to my feet, choking back a groan that managed to slip out anyway.

I waved my hand at her, no no it wasn't a big deal. I was always this sore. I'd gotten used to it. She still looked at me, eyes all shiny, like she might cry. This confused me, I have to admit. Why would it bother her so much?

It wasn't like we were best pals or anything, I mean, we never hung out until today. Maybe it was a woman thing, because I could remember my mother getting all teary eyed everytime I would fall off my bike, or skin my knee. I guess girls were just more..emotional. I felt like that was something I should have known by now.

 I shrugged my shoulders and looked at my toes. Looking at her was making me all emotional too, what was with this chick? Making me talk, now emotions? Fucking weird. But I kinda liked it...sorta. Maybe a little bit.

"My couch pulls out, and it's not terrible. I mean, I just...you walking around all night isn't safe, Matt. It's cold too, you'll get sick if you stay out here. My folks won't mind, I promise. Just so long as you don't end up in my bed, ya know?" Aurora looked at me, hopeful, shinning eyes. She wanted me to stay over, she wanted me under the same roof that she was. Sleeping.

Wait...what was with that 'end up in my bed' comment? Was that just to soothe me, or did she want me in her bed? 

Suddenly, I found myself wondering if ever guy was this confused by women, or if I had just missed some very important class in middle school.

 The idea was appealing, couch bed, safe place, warmth. And, well there was the whole being in Aurora's house, thing. But part of me was pulling me down the street, telling me it was a bad idea to get this close to someone. After all, what good did it get me? Where did caring about someone get me? Where was everyone that cared so much about me now? Gone, that's where.

What was to stop her from doing what every single over person I trusted did? She could be tricking me or something.

I looked at her, stufying her face, looking for any signs that she was up to no good. I couldn't find anything. All I found was worry, her cheeks were pink from the cold, and she was shivering, hugging her arms around herself for warmth.

So, in the spirit of not keeping her in the cold anymore, and so she didn't have to worry about me all night, I followed her to her place. Walking quietly down the hall to the den that was across from her room, watching as she pulled out the old sofa bed, made up the sheets and blankets. Then, we were just standing there in the dark.

Alone.

Just us.

In the dark.

Was it just me, or did it get really hot in here?

 Aurora was looking at me, nervous, in the way girls did in the movies when, when they wanted to be kissed. I could see it in my head, the scene playing out the way it should. A great kiss, then she whispers a hushed goodnight, and I lay there awake all night thinking of that kiss.

But, when she took a step toward me, and moved her lips toward mine, all I could feel were His hands on my mouth. Him touching me the way no father should touch his son.

And I stepped away. Leaving her shocked, ashamed, in the dark. 

We Watched the City BurnOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara