Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

I set the table and we arranged the food in the middle so it would be easy to pass around to one another.

"If you want food then get in here!" I hollered into the other room where the guys were all huddled around an X-Box and the flatscreen. The X-Box was abandoned almost insstantly as they poured into the dining room.

We all sat down around the table and within seconds plates were being passed and food was being dished out. For the next several minutes everyone was too engrosed in wolfing down their food (A/N:See what I did thar? Haha I made a funny) to talk. Not much was said other than requests for more food or how good everything was.

After or late lunch I cleared the table as Hannah dished out the cake along with ice cream. With desserts in our hands we all congregated in the living room to watch a movie before we would all leave.

I curled myself onto one coushin of the loveseat and took a bite of my cake. Mmm cake.

Hannah stretched herself out on the floor and amde herself comfortable. Decker claimed his recliner and Chase took the couch. Lewis sat next to me and Artie sat on the floor in front of the loveseat so his head, when he leaned back, touched my knees.

When we were all situated Decker hit the play button on the remote in his hand and the credits started to play. When the menu came up on the screen I let out a little "scree" of excitement. I love Four Brothers. "I love you Mark Wahlberg," I cooed getting awkward looks from everyone. "Not like that! In a fatherly sort of way. He could adopt me and then I can marry Taylor Lautner and Cam Gigandet and Matt Damon will be my big brothers and we'll rule the world!" Maybe those looks were worse...

Decker took my still half-full bowl of cake and ice cream away from me and I pouted at him. He ignored the puppy-dog face so I reached behind me for the blanket folded on the back of the loveseat. If I couldn't have my cake and ice cream then I was at least going to be cozy.

I mouthed the words along with Mark Wahlberg and his co-stars, loving every second of this. Unconsciously I worked my fingers through Artie's hair, playing with the glossy, black silk strands. He let out a sigh of contentment and I found the action soothing.

All of a sudden Lewis kicked me. "Ow!" I whispered, rubbing my thigh. "What was that for?" I asked as quietly as possible, not wanting to disrupt the others.

"Sorry... Muscle spasm," Lewis said. I rolled my eyes.

"Whatever." I folded my hands in my lap and fiddeled with the blanket lying across my legs.

We weren't very far into the movie, the funeral for their Mom had just ended when Lewis leaned over and whispered, "I'm going to the bathroom. I'll be right back."

"Thanks for sharing," I whispered sarcastically back.

As soon as he was out of the room Artie hopped up on the loveseat next to me. He smiled at me and I smiled back before returning my attention to the movie.

I was only half watching the movie, the other half of me was concentrating on my ankle where Artie's leg was touching me. "Are you cold?" Artie asked, his voice startling me as he was now right next to my ear.

"N-no..." I answered immideately.

"Are you sure? You have goosebumps all up and down your arms and you're covered up under a blanket." He had his eyebrow cocked and a silly little smirk on his face.

"I'm sure." I rolled my eyes at him and laughed under my breath before turning to the movie again.

Lewis came back and glared at Artie who dutifully pretended that nothing out of the usual was going on. "You're in my seat." Lewis said, trying to gain Artie's attention.

Artie was trying to ignore Lewis still while trying to keep a straight face. He pushed his lips out and scrunched up his nose, looking similar to an old woman, before taking a deep breath and letting his face clear out. Lewis kept staring at him and Artie just kept staring straight ahead and breathing like he was in labor.

Finally I couldn't take it anymore. "You look ridiculous!" I said, laughing hysterically at Artie. "Now scooch over and make some room for Lewis." I pushed him over as far as he would go and slid into the empty space next to him. There was a few inches of space that we'd managed to create. I looked into the space and then at Lewis, he seemed to get what I was saying and shook his head.

"Just make him move, Lee!" Lewis complained.

"Nope. You move your feet you lose your seat! That's what Daniel always said. And the only way your fitting on here is if someone is sitting on someone else's lap which is not going to happen. Sorry Lewis your SOL."

Lewis humphed, succeeding only in making himself look like a pouting child, and flung himself down on the floor next to Hannah. Hannah looked up at him, shocked at his sudden apearence, shrugged and turned back to the movie.

I didn;t move away from Artie for the rest of the movie. He was right. I had been maybe a little teeny bit cold but sitting next to him I was so comfortable and warm. His arm laid draped around my shoulder, securing me to him.

The movie ended and I sighed. This meant it was almost time to go home. I stood up and stretched my arms way above my head. We all knew what was coming next so Decker lead the way upstairs and into his room.

Already of having my stuff packed, I put my sleeping bag back in Decker's closet and grabbed my bag. I walked over to Decker.

"Happy Birthday, Decker." I gave him a big hug. "I'll see you Monday."

"Thanks, Lee."

Everyone else took their turns saying goodbye and before I knew it I was sitting in the middle of the bench seat in Artie's truck. Chase was in the passenger seat and Artie was driving. We backed out of Decker's driveway and were on the road in no time at all.

The entire way home I was engaged in a competition with Chase. We were seeing who could keep a straight face the longest. Neither one of us had to resort to Artie's silly face making but I'll admit I kind of wanted to try it... I was having such a hard time when finally I decided to let Chase win. Just as I was getting ready to let loose the smile I'd been repressing for nearly ten minutes Chase burst into fits of laughter.

I smiled at him and it felt good. I don't think I've ever gone that long without smiling before! The rest of the way home we goofed off and just really relaxed.

Artie pulled into my drive-way too soon for my liking but I hopped out anyways. I grabbed my bag from the truck-bed and Artie and Chase both got out of the truck as well. I gave Chase a hug. "I'll see you Monday, Pippy."

I smiled up at him then moved to Artie. "I'll see you Monday, Artie. Just think.. This is our last week of detention together!"

"Yeah but then we're going to the movies Friday night." Artie replied.

"That's right! Oooh I'm so excited!" I started hopping up and down.

"Alright," Artie said around his laughter. "I'll see you on Monday."

I went into my house and up to my room. I dropped my bag on the inside of the door and flopped down on my bed. I'm going to the drive-ins with Artie Kent this Friday. Could this week get any better?

~~

Okay it's 11:23 right now and I'm sorry for the wait. I made it though. I really hope you enjoy this chapter because I deleted all but those first eleven paragraphs and completely re-wrote the entire thing. Also, I'd really appreciate it if you'd comment on this chapter and tell me what you think because I really like comments (as I'm sure you all kno by now).

This chapter is for one of my childhood bestfriends. He was my original brother by choice and yes I did say 'was'. Today is the one year anniversary of his death. Tad, I miss you with all of my heart and I think about you all the time. You died too young and you were the best fake brother any girl could ever have. My only regret is that I didn't see you as much during the last few years, I hope you can forgive me. I love you, big brother.

Tad 5/5/93- 2/13/11

<3

Random thought: (Okay this is about Tad too) I remember when we were younger you taught me how to play Pokemon. I still have the card you gave me and my Ruby Version that I bought two days after you taught me to play yours. Thanks for the memories <3