Chapter Twenty-Seven

{Lee}

The days melted by like ice cream in July. Everyday after school I stayed behind to wait out my detention with Artie. Mr.Roooosh had dentention on Monday and Wednesday so Artie and I got a lot of work done on the stage and we managed to get way ahead of everybody else on our project.

Friday was here before I knew it and I was nervous as all get out!

Right after school I went into the ag room for detention. Artie was right behind me as I went to my usual seat. Detention started when the bell rang at three thirty and just as the bell was getting to ring someone I'd never seen before ran through the door.

"Is this the room detention is being held in?" The boy was breathing heavy and placed his hand on the desk in front of him.

Mrs. Meyer sent him a strange look and nodded slowly. "Yes, who are you?"

The stranger quickly scanned the room and then turned his attention back to Mrs. Meyer. "My name is Julian Herst." As he appraised all of  us I was busy appraising him. He looked to be a few inches shorter that Artie and Chase. Instead of their dark brown hair his was a light, golden brown. His eyes were the color of melted chocolate and his skin was a light tan.

"Well, you can sit down anywhere..." Mrs.Meyer was still busy flipping through papers on her desk. "Oh here it is. You got detention on your first day? Who else does that sound like? Hmm, I wonder..." Mrs.Meyer laughed at her little joke and I nudged Artie in the side.

Before Julian came in I was joking around with Mrs.Meyer and Artie because Mrs.Meyer was like my second mother and Artie and I grew closer and closer each day, now there was an awkward silence enveloping the entire room.

"Mom, can I go work on my engine?" I asked to break through the awkwardness while using Mrs.Meyer's nickname given to her by all the Ag kids.

"Sure, you were starting to drop behind anyway. Do you know what you're doing?"

"Yeah, I'm taking Artie with me for some muscle." I flashed her a smile and dragged Artie by the arm out into the Ag Shop.

I shut the door behind me us and pushed Artie towards my work table. On the table top my engine sat next to Jonathan's. I moved over to my work place, leaving Artie to look around and do as he pleased.

I picked up a socket wrench and got to work, doing what Scott told me I still needed to do. All of a sudden gasoline started dripping from the engine.

"Hey Artie... What do you know about engines?" I asked. He turned around and looked at me, a small smile playing around the edges of his lips.

"Not much. Why?" He walked over towards me.

"It's leaking..." I pointed to the steadily growing pool of gasoline on the floor. I thought back to what the guys did when their engines were leaking... "I need sawdust!" I moved around the shop and collected dust from the different dust collectors. When I had a decent amount in my dustpan I dumped it all on the floor where the engine was leaking.

After I had my pile where I wanted it I looked at my engine. I could see nothing wrong with it no matter which way I looked and how I tilted the engine. I tapped my foot as I chewed on bottom lip thinking of what I could do. Scott and Dylan, two of the boys in my mechanics class, were my go-to-guys in this kind of situation but they'd be long gone by now. So either I let my engine leak all night or I figure out how to fix this....

"Mom?" I called, the wracking of my brain providing no solutions.

"What's wrong?" She asked with that all knowing tone she uses so often.