Chapter Forty-One

Moon and Stars Above Us

After replacing a corpse to look like Sullivan, especially with a few punches, I leave for a while to let someone else find his corpse. I run all the way to my and Cyprian's tree to clear my thoughts. I climb my way up the tree and sit on a sturdy branch where I can overlook the Mississippi River. There is something about being out here in the middle of the woods instead of in that town where people wish to know everything you're doing. I guess here and the library are the only safe places for me now.

    I close my eyes and count to ten and I think of my father. I miss him and I wish I could be the leader for him. His death replays in the darkness of my eyelids. The way he had smiled at the end. The way I couldn't do anything as my father died right before me in the hands of a werewolf.

    Tears stream down my cheeks and I try to wipe them away with my jacket but it's useless because they keep coming. But then it hits me as I look down and see Cyprian standing down there looking up at me with red eyes himself. I try to resist the urge to scream at him. Who would've known my father wanted him as leader and not myself? I push away the thought as Cyprian climbs up the tree to sit by me.

    He is silent but he leans and kisses each tear that is still visible on my face. I can't help but let a few more slip. I'm a waterfall and there isn't anything I can do to stop it all from coming. I wrap my arms around him and snuggle my face into his shoulder. He's so warm and I'm freezing. How can he love someone so cold?

    "Darling..." he whispers into my neck, his words imprinting himself into my skin.

    I pull back so I can look into his eyes. The charcoal illuminated by the red rim and I wonder myself why he was crying, "My father- Cyp- he's really gone- I-"

    Another stream of tears and he shushes me, "Don't cry my darling. I know everything doesn't seem okay and I'm truly sorry about fighting with you. I-I was worried I almost lost you there for a second."

    I tilt my head and then ask, "Is that why you were crying?"

    "You can tell?"

    "Cyp I've known you for such a long time. I know when you've been crying," I pause biting my lip, "but I'm also sorry," I think of what Sullivan had said to me, "I'm a moody bitch, I get it."

    He chuckles and then wipes away tears of mine with his finger, "Amaia, of all things, you are not a moody bitch. You're obviously going to be a little emotional because of the loss of your father. I can't punish you for that."

    "If you say so," I try to pull myself closer into him, never wanting to pull myself away from him.

    "Please don't leave me," he whispers into my neck.

    "Why would I?" I whisper back into his.

    "Because of him," and I know he means Kane, but with what happened with Kane... I don't know why he would believe I like him after that. If anything Kane disgusts me even more now— but...

    "Cyprian Lotharius, I swear to God I'm not leaving you. You aren't just my love, you're my best friend and I could never bare to leave you without breaking my own damn heart."

    I think I made him smile because of the lines under his eyes the increase and then I close mine as I feel his lips on mine. His warmth electrocutes me and I feel my blood warm at the touch. He pushes me against the tree and I wrap my legs around his waist so I'm completely against his whole body. His hands trail me all over and I stifle a gasp and hold him tighter.

    I pull back only to whisper into his lips, "Cyprian," but that the only word that escapes me.

    He growls under his breath and then pushes himself into me more, his lips now more passionate on mine. His tongue paints the inside of my mouth making it a mix of every color. One of his fingers traces patterns along the top of my breasts and I can't even think anymore as I sit here on the tree we have made ours.

    "Wouldn't you rather make love to me in a proper place, unlike a tree," I whisper in his ear.

    "Mm, I guess my bedroom will be to your liking, or do you wish for a castle?"

    I laugh against his skin and wish I could pull him closer, "Your bedroom will do for now, but I wouldn't mind a castle in the future, Cyp."

    "I'll see what I can do about that castle later on, but for now..." he pulls me down from the tree and I tumble on top of him, my laugh increasing wildly. He picks me up and carries me in his arms the rest of the way to his home where there we lay undressed and tangled in each other under the moon and stars above us.