Chapter Five

You'd be surprised, darling

The worst part about being away from home is the people you miss. I miss my mother the most. I love it when I would come home to find her making clothes. She'd ask me if I wanted to help and sometimes I'd join her, even though I'm no where as talented as her. I also miss my father, but I do not miss his strict rules. Out here, I'm the one making the rules because I'm the leader. I scrunch my nose, this is a new kind of power I get to try out.

    "We should probably make camp," I say to my group as I look up at the sun which is starting to set.

    "What'd you mean, sweetheart?" Sullivan laughs, "the sun is still high in the sky."

    I take a deep breath, "it might take us awhile to set up camp and then gather more supplies. It would be better for us to do that during daytime."

    The group looks around, waiting for someone else to argue with me. Cyprian smiles, "I'm down for setting camp now."

    I almost laugh. I look around, studying the faces of the men. Then, I hear Sullivan sigh and he starts to unpack his backpack. I smile. I might not be so bad at this afterall. I watch as some of the group walks away to go gather supplies and others helping to set up the camp.

    Cyprian and I head out to gather some food for the group. I start by examining the berries I found on a small bush. Small, red- they seem edible. I pick one off of the bush and I'm about to eat it until I feel my braid tugged backwards-

    "What the hell, Cyp!" I whip around.

    "You almost ate a poisonous berry," he grabs for my hand and picks the berry from it and squishes it. Dark, bloody-red juices slithers out.

    "Oh..." I trail off and sigh, "thank you."

    "No problem. Even if you had eaten it you'd only become ill."

    I nod, "you know a lot about this kind of stuff."

    He smiles, "I studied most of the time instead of learning archery and knife throwing."

    "Well look at that- Cyprian has a smart side," I joke and he laughs.

    "You'd be surprised, darling."

    I try to hide a smile but fail. And there's this boy. A dirty-blond, charcoal eyed boy. His name is Cyprian Lotharius. He is my best friend. He makes me happy when he teases me. He makes me smile.

And oh,
I am falling.
I am falling hard-
for this boy I love.