Chapter Nineteen

A Free Bird

I should be embarrassed for my father catching me and Cyprian, but I'm not. I'm actually proud and smile to myself as I enter my home. My mother is making some kind of shirt and she looks up from her work and smiles at me. I wonder if my father told her what happened yet, and if he hasn't then she'll know soon because my father is sitting in his chair and he looks at me with a stern look. I walk over to him.

"Tell me, Amaia, did Cyprian force himself onto you?"

I actually choke and am caught on my laugh, "Are you serious? That's not what happened."

My father's jaw tightens, "I wasn't planning on you and him dating. I had some other men in mind for my daughter-"

But I cut him off. The flames that have been enclosed within me for years finally breaking free and I'm yelling, "Other men? Other men in mind? I think I should be able to choose who I want."

I feel my mother's stare burn into my back and my father's burns into my front and I am breathing heavily. I close my eyes and wait for my father's voice.

One, two... I begin to count to myself and finally the silence is broken by my mother, "Let her, for God's sake, Sawyer."

I open my eyes and look over to where my mother looks sternly at my father. Never had I heard her speak up to him like that and I am thankful for now she finally is for me. I turn back to my father where he strokes his jaw and looks at me, "Fine."

I am a free bird. I have broken free from my tight cage. I am done being kept behind bars. I make my own decisions now and my spirit feels light. I feel like I am flying, soaring. My father opened my cage an inch and I pushed it fully open and flew out. I am a little bird still, but I know I will grow to be bigger and stronger.

I walk as fast as I can out of my home. I have to find Cyprian, I have to tell him. I don't look where I am going as I walk then run then sprint... and I fall. I smacked right into someone and now I'm on the ground.

"I'm so sorry!" I begin to apologize until a familiar hand helps me up. Aramis is smiling at me.

"Where are you in such a rush to, your royal highness?"

"I'm- I-" I laugh, "I have to go find Cyprian."

"I've never seen you look so happy and run so fast at the same time," he begins to walk with me.

"It's a good day to be happy," I tell him.

He nods, not understanding, "And why so?"

"Because Cyprian and I can be together if we want," I throw my hands up and laugh of joy.

Aramis smiles, "Will there be a party?"

I laugh and push him playfully, "No, there won't be one. At least, I don't think there will be."

"I would come if there was," he winks, "you two will be good together. You both have a leader kind of feel, you know? In twenty-years you'll both be king and queen of this place with a little prince or princess playing in the dirt."

I laugh, "What a scenario to imagine."

"Seriously though- you two lovebirds are perfect for each other."

I smile. If Aramis thinks Cyprian and I make a good pair I'm sure things will work out perfectly, even with my father still feeling stubborn.