Chapter Ten

You Can Run

The werewolves were waiting for us. They knew one of us was weak enough to fall for the trap, and that person was Aramis. It could've been any one of us but they sensed Aramis's emotions the most and used that to their advantage.

    There's a dozen more than us and now they circle us, howling and growling. We are now their prey. I feel the weight of loss. I was the leader and I lead my team to failure. My father will be so disappointed when he finds out I failed.

    "Hold back, betas!" A male voice echoes through the cave and the betas listen to the man and they step back and make way for the man.

    I stumble over familiarity when I see the man's eyes. They're dark green, almost a hazel color. And his brown hair curls softly. He has a strong  jaw that is held tight and everything about him screams at me.

"Hunters," he says, looking at me mostly, "what do you want?"

"We- we," I stumble, of course.

"Get on with it, my dear, I don't have all day," he seems bored. I can't let him lose interest because then we're dead.

"I came for the alpha," I say, my voice more steady, "We came for the alpha."

"That would be me," he smiles and almost laughs, "are you here to try to kill me? Because that's a hard task to accomplish and you'll only make matters worse."

I don't say anything. He can sense my fear and I know it. All the beasts can, they all have the power to sense emotions. A wretched power for people of their low.

"What's your name, love?" He smiles, "I like your determination."

I continue to hold my head high, "Amaia."
"Good to meet you, Amaia. I'm the alpha of the north-eastern pack. My name's Kane."

I nod, "Pleasure to meet you Kane," I hold out my right hand with a poker face and he accepts and shakes my hand slowly, then releases. His hand, so strong, it scares me what he's capable of.

"Follow," he simply says and turns to head deeper within the cave. My men and I follow Kane in the darkness of this cold, cold home.

Kane wanted to speak to me alone. He said he doesn't trust my men, I told him I didn't trust him. He laughed and complimented my stubbornness and then continued to tell me I had no choice. I were to speak to him alone or we'd all be killed immediately. So I agreed to speak to him. I rather not die today, thanks.
"How did you find us?" he asks me immediately once we're away from my group.
"Aramis followed the trap your betas left for us. He thought he heard someone he cares about."

"Ahh," Kane sighs, "you mean Maggie?"

"Yes- why- is she here?" If Maggie is here- how is that possible?

"Yes, she is here. We used her as bait to get your group here..."

"Why? What?" I'm beginning to feel confused.

He slams his hand on the cave wall and it rumbles, "Dammit, Amaia! Let me explain. Now don't interrupt, love."

I don't interrupt again. I wait for him to begin and he does, "We have Maggie and you can take her and you can run or you can challenge me and die in the process or win. But, if you choose to run, you must go back to the west. Which is it, love?"

I have to think about this. I can't just jump and pick one. I should analysis the problem the way Cyprian would. If we choose to run- we get Maggie and escape safely, but we have to retreat. If we choose to challenge Kane then we could possibly die, but if I win then what? The risks are too high, "I have a compromise."

"Oh, you do?" He laughs, he's actually amused.

"Yes. If we take Maggie with us and choose to run, we get to stay east, but we won't bother hunting you on this side..." for a few weeks or so.

"Sounds like a breakable deal to me," he studies me. Examining my emotions, travelling deep within my fear and my heartbeat. I try my best to build a wall.

"Aren't all deals?" I say, casually. I add a smile for best luck.

He laughs quietly, "You're good, Amaia. I like you. I'm not sure I want to let you run."

Well, I'm screwed, "I don't think you want me around. I'm a burden you don't want to deal with."

A sly smile appears on his too-pretty-for-a-monster face, "I can handle burdens, I'm an alpha."

"And I'm a huntress," I fire back.

"Alright, Amaia, I see your point. Your attitude is fiery. Love that, dear. But I'll let you and your friends go. Consider this a second chance, but I should warn you not all the alphas are as friendly as me."

"I'll take that into a count," I smile to Kane. Hopefully, this will be the last encounter with him, but I'm worried it won't.

All my friends and I can do now is leave peacefully, no bloodshed necessary.