Chapter Thirty-Seven

Emotions

"Amaia? Amaia, is that you? Amaia, wake up!"

    I jolt awake at the sound of the voice screaming for me. I rub my sleepy eyes and comb my hair back with my fingers. Then I blink and look around for her was calling me. I jump, startled to see Aramis standing right to the left of me.

    "Aramis? What is it?" I yawn.

    "I heard what happened with Sullivan last night and how he tried to kill both you and Cyprian. That little asshole, I should've known. He's like a demon from hell," Aramis shakes his head and leans on the side of Cyprian's house.

    "Tell me about it," I sigh, "it was a long night. Do you- do you think Cassandra and Charlotte are still in there taking care of him? Is that why I wasn't awoken by them?" I begin to worry. What if they couldn't help him?

    "I don't know, Amaia," Aramis shrugs, "the window's curtains are drawn."

    "I just hope he's okay," I mumble.

    "Amaia," Aramis sighs and rests a hand on my shoulder and squeezes it gently, "he's gonna be alright. I know you're still worked up over your father's death and I get that, but you're not going to lose Cyprian too."

    I sigh and begin to tap my foot out of anxiety. Then I stand up from the rocking chair and I place my palm on the wooden door of Cyprian's house. I take a deep breath then knock, once, twice, three times.

    "He might be sleeping-"

    But Aramis is cut off by the door swinging open. Cassandra stands there with a smile which makes her seems like she has more wrinkles and her black hair falls down in curls, even with it up in a messy bun, "Do you want to come see him?"

    "Am I allowed?" I catch my breath.

    "Of course, he's even requesting to see you," Cassandra chuckles and moves out of the way to let me in, "I'm afraid Aramis will have to stay outside though."

    Aramis laughs, "Go talk to Cyprian, Amaia. It's my shift to watch Sullivan anyway."

    "Thank you," I whisper under my breath to no one in particular, anyone that could hear it, I assume. His house is dark, all the curtains are drawn and none of the gas lights are on, "Could you maybe open a window?"

    "Of course, Miss. Kingsley," Cassandra crosses the room and pulls back the curtains, immediately light shines in. She unlocks it and pushes it open, letting fresh air fill the room with the smell of pine.

    I look over to where Cyprian lays in his bed. He's without a shirt and there are clean bandages with no blood soaking through where Sullivan stabbed me. I smile softly and sit down beside him, "Hey, Cyp."

    His smile grows and he opens his charcoal eyes to admire me, "I'm glad you came to visit me, darling."

    I sit down next to where he lays and I sigh, "I'm glad you're okay."

    He laughs half-heartedly, but winces in pain, "Sullivan's taken for care of?"

    "Sort of... hunters are watching him while he's locked away. You get to decide what his punishment is tomorrow."

    "Death. I asked you to kill him last night... but you didn't. Why?" Cyprian groans and I shiver.

    "I just couldn't. It's a different feeling killing your own," I bite my lip, "I'm sorry I couldn't do it."

    He sighs, "Sullivan isn't our own anymore. He's a psychotic traitor. I will torture him to death if I must."

    "Th-that's so cruel..." I bite my tongue, "I mean- I-"