Chapter Twenty-Nine

Orphan

I remember the day Cyprian's parents die. It was the year he became my best friend. We were only seven then. Still young and hopeful... and happy. I always heard my father talk to my mother about Mr. Lotharius. Said he was an unfaithful husband and would beat his wife and child. Of course, I was never supposed to overhear those things, but I had strong hearing when I was young.

    It was a hunting day when Mr. Lotharius died. A werewolf got them. I always thought my father could've helped him. He could've saved him. Could've killed the werewolf before it killed him, but he didn't do anything. I'm sure of it.

    The news arrived that evening. I went with my father to tell Mrs. Lotharius and her son Cyprian. My father's words were so cold: Anne Lotharius, I'm sorry to say your husband didn't make it today. Yes, he said he was sorry, but he didn't sound like it.

    Mrs. Lotharius was so sad. She started sobbing. Seven year old Cyprian just stood in his house behind his mother, looking at me. He didn't cry when he heard the news. I wouldn't either with a father that beat me, but his mother was crying. Even with all he did to her; why was she sad he was gone?

    The next morning was when people found out that Anne Lotharius committed suicide. Now what would we do with a seven year old orphan who lost both his father and mother? Nothing. Nobody did anything.

    So I decided I would visit him. Surely, he must be lonely now that he has no mother or father and he has no siblings. When I knocked on the door it took him a minute to answer and when he did his eyes were red from crying.

    I asked him why he was crying and he said he missed his mother. I asked if he missed his father too. He said no. I wanted to know why, but I knew it would be rude to ask that. My mother told me never to ask rude questions. You might hurt someone's feelings if you do.

    After that day I kept coming to visit Cyprian. I knew him before because he was in my classes, but I didn't truly know him until his parents died. At first when I would visit him he would be moody because he didn't want to hang out with a girl, but I'm glad I forced the friendship.

If I hadn't I wouldn't be here with this boy I am so deeply in love with. This boy that I could never let go even if I wanted to. I don't want to lose Cyprian Lotharius. I helped him through his darkest times; the times when he showed me the beast inside. I would hope he would help me through mine.

After a couple of weeks I told Cyprian he reminded me of the stars because he thought he was so little, but he shined so bright. He smiled and told me I reminded him of the moon because some days I shine brighter than others.

This. This is how I found my best friend.